Hi Joe,
A worthy question indeed:  how to attain a fair
society?  That  John Seed guy has an enormous
following, including our daughter (who lives on
MorningGlory Farm, featured in today's Toronto Star,
and is also a student at U of W).  When she comes home
she always goes though an intense culture shock:  we
are wasteful, we don't listen carefully enough, we are
not as willing to pitch in on a daily project.  The
collective is a paradise for her of uplifting
co-operation.

Sounds like 'Multitude' is a must read...

The Borg you refer to at the end of your letter were
self-serving, weren't they?  And vulnerable to
viruses...  (Same combat technique worked for Jeff
Goldblum in Independance Day.)  Think:  what would Neo
do?

Jesse

--- Joe Street <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Keith;
>
> I agree with you about the discussion around
> handguns in the US.  It
> will not be a productive rant/argument anywhere and
> will quickly
> degenerate into a shouting match.  But can we have a
> more general
> discussion on the concept of force because it is a
> very important issue
> to me in a more general sense.  I would consider
> myself a pacifist
> (funny how that word contains 'fist') and I would
> also defend myself or
> someone who needed help but I would prefer the world
> worked by
> communication and care and consideration for each
> other. I have offered
> my opinion here before that if ANYONE is to have
> nukes for example, that
> everyone should have them, just out of a desire for
> everyone to have
> equal consideration at the bargaining table. I'd
> rather they were
> banished from existence on the planet and maybe one
> day we will. The
> book I have been harping on called Multitude offers
> a shining ray of
> hope for that world to exist through a new directly
> democratic social
> order based on networking. I'd like to discuss the
> problem of how we get
> from a world which is ruled by bullies where one
> could argue that you
> better have might or get crushed, to the more
> advanced and mature
> society which is based on things like compassion,
> consideration of
> others, fairness for all, open communication, etc
> etc?  This is
> definitely a question about sustainability.
>
> John Seed came to town recently on his global tour
> offering hope for
> people needing motivation from dispair. We talked
> about many global
> issues both social and environmental and I didn't
> come away from that
> meeting feeling particularly inspired or that some
> really practical
> information was offered on how to adress these
> issues in ways that have
> real tangible results like today. My expectation did
> not match with the
> reality of what was being offered there.  There have
> been some cases
> where groups have organized in the style outlined in
> Multitude to
> achieve a common purpose and in many cases it did
> unfortunately due to
> the circumstances involve some violence.  There are
> many challenges that
> face such a reorganization not the least of which is
> the presence of the
> party which carries the big stick (and hasn't been
> walking so softly).
> To my way of thinking in order for a more peaceful
> model to come about
> and reach some sustainable steady state, one of the
> [...]

Jesse Frayne
itsdinner.ca
Neighbourhood catering and general joie de livre

      Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to
Yahoo! Answers and share what you know at http://ca.answers.yahoo.com