Hey Darryl;

What about adding a wheelmotor to a dirtsurfer? That would be my ride of choice...surfing the trails and sidewalks with style. http://www.dirtsurfer.com/ Would have to factor in some extra battery capacity for some sort of ghetto blaster. Gotta have tunes to ride the groove....lol

Joe

Darryl McMahon wrote:

Ah, yes.  Wildman Rod rides again!  The Ford coupe is a beauty, if a tad
impractical for most applications.

I think we need to rethink the car before we try to open source it.  My
idea for a plug-in electric hybrid (biodiesel) has been picked up by
someone else with more resources and I hope to see the initial results
on Saturday.  Rumour has it a book will also come from the exercise (not
by me).
However, we do need to revisit what we really need from a car today,
because I don't think the Ford Excursion fits the bill.  How about
quadricycles that can travel at urban speeds (up to 50 km/h), utilizing
a combination of human and electric power?  Or the Twike?  Lot's of
other light-weighting options.  Less resources to construct and operate,
no toxic emissions in operation (well almost; there will be some CO2
GHGs from the breathing of the operators).

By comparison, the Smart is a fuel-guzzling pig boasting excessive
performance.

I have my vintage motorcycle operational again, thanks to my son's
efforts. A 1973 Aurenthetic Charger. (http://www.econogics.com/ev/auranthe.htm) Factory original electric mini-motorcycle. Gets almost 50 km to the kWh.
Much better than the road-racer 1973 electric Porsche 914 that pigs out
at 5 km to the kWh.  (If I did the math right, that's about 185 mpg, so
the motorcycle is getting well over 1500 mpg.  According to this article
in Grist <http://evco.ca/electrathon/index.html>, walking gets about 75
mpg equivalent.  An electric-assist bicycle would get about 3000 mpg
equivalent.)  Tilled the garden on the weekend with an electric tractor.
Just bought a small, cordless electric rototiller for my mother - she
loves it.

Gasoline is only expensive if you use it.  Go electric and green your
electricity.  Buy locally.  We know the answers, the rest is
rationalizations and convenience.  Yes, it does take some effort to put
it all into practice, and I'm still on the path and far from the goal. My advice, make the shift to sustainable practices while fossil energy
is still cheap.

Darryl

Dawie Coetzee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hey Zeke, are you familiar with this one?
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/wilde/sterfo1.htm     -D