To some degree, here in the Mid-Atlantic area of the US anyway,
this is mostly doable now.

Taking yer own bags to the grocery is moderately common amongst
folks who care. Some grocers actually will give you an
'atta-boy' discount for doing so. This discount is way
above and beyond the cost savings to them of not providing
the bags. It may actually be as high as 1% of the bill.
This small but real trend kinda shocks me.

Milk in *real* bottles, and even *real* milk is available
if you know where to look. Personally, I don't do milk very
much, I kinda buy into the 'homosapiens digestive system
hasn't evolved to process dairy yet' argument. I do like
whole milk on cereal though, and I love cooking with butter.
:)

The few grocers I know who sell *real* dry goods by weight
will use the little paper bags if you ask. They usually let
you bring your own containers.

This is all particularly true in Pennsylvania, where there
is a very real 'Buy Fresh, Buy Local' movement
that is top-down supported.