-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Chip Mefford
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 8:06 AM
To: biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Another mercedes forsale...

Following Jared's lead, I too have a Mercedes to get rid of;

Although I'm not going to bother with pics, cause it's a bit
of a pain, here's the deal;

she's an old 300SD, the wagon.

The autoleveling system ist kaput! The pump works, but squirts that
spendy mineral oil out of the transfer valve assembly over the rear axle
with a vengance. The shocks themselves seem okay, they hold some
pressure, meaning she isn't just sitting on the bump stops, but
it does sit low.

Rear exhaust is pretty much gone.
Those little backup lamps that are mounted in the rear bumper
both have broken lenses. They would work otherwise.

As with all these things, the vacuum locking system is fouled up.
Since the shutoff works, the vacuum pump is okay, but the door
locks are an on-again, off again kinda thing.

Umm, tach is spotty, some days it's okay, other days not so okay.
The gauge cluster for that matter, falls out of the dash board
(the way these do) and the gauge cover isn't glued on any more.
This is a trivial fix. I thought it best not to fix until
I had fiddled about behind there some.

Tires are all fine, Michelin ICE-X studless
winter/ice tires, with less than 5K on 'em.
They'd need to be changed out for normal
driving. These will not last in above freezing
temps, but they get it though an inspection.

Brake disks could do with a turning, and the calipers need
a rebuild. It's spent too much time sitting, and the
caliper engagement is uneven, this can be scary at speed.

The rear window wiper doesn't work, don't know why. I've not
messed with it much.

Lesse what else? some rusty bits along the rocker panels,
and I honestly am a bit fearful for the pan, as I found sitting
water in it last time I checked. I've found no real bad spots,
but I'd not be suprised if they were there.

Err, that weird box that controls the coolant flow to the
heater core is disconnected, so that i could get heat. I have
another one of those switches, just haven't put it in.

The usual suspects.
Timing chain could do with a tightening/adjustment. And of course
a pump timing is no doubt well over due.

Fuel system is clean. she has run up to homemade B100 before, and
i ran her on B5-B50 when I was driving her. Ran a few gallons of
peanut oil through there from time to time.

The turbocharger is late, always, so whatevertheheck you call it,
that actuator that does the magic with the throttle, the
vacuum and the transmission needs a LOT of adjusting. And
whatever that breather tube is, probably needs cleaned out as well.

And of course, the transmission (like all of them) surges
between 1st and 2nd. This I am told, is not that difficult
to alleviate during a xmission fluid service. A spring is
all. I'm not so sure this is true. It also lags when going
into reverse by a second or two. I'm just gentle with it. It's
a very old (340K miles) car. Since I anticipate the surge,
I feather the throttle between gears and the surge isn't
really detectable.

Oh yeah, there are at least 2 weak glowplugs. This is evident
when the temp drops into the single digits (10f or lower),
the glow plug light wont even come on. But being the good ole gal
that she is, she starts anyway. Not happy about it,
but still starts. I've started her on cold morning down to
3f.

Since I had her, I kept her on a diet of good fuel,
Amzoil lubricants and fluids and the like. I mistakenly
trusted a oil change place to handle the coolant and
it ended up with 'green' antifreeze, which I know is
wrong. but I don't think it hurt anything.

Oh, AC doesn't work. I have another compressor, but
i don't care about AC that much. Figured I'd mess with
it if I decided to fiddle with the timing chain.

Thats about all I can think of. On the plus side,
she has good tires :)

This car is in the Northern Virginia USA area, between
Dulles Airport and Winchester, on the mountain above
Bluemont. She is available free to a good home. Good
home in the case, means someone interested in a test
bed for alternative 'appropriate techology' biofuels.

Contact me off list if interested, with your story.
:)

messages):

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:57 PM