Hi Kirk,

That might be worthwhile if I lived in a more developed country. I´d prefer to keep things as close to my homestead as possible. Transporting one oil to work with another does not make sense in my case. There might be a neighbor closeby to make a trade. I´ll look inyo it when the time comes. Thanks.

Tom Irwin

From:  Kirk McLoren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:  biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject:  Re: [Biofuel] Proper intgration of Biofuels for small farms
Date:  Sat, 11 Aug 2007 08:24:07 -0700 (PDT)

I would sell the olive oil and buy something cheaper like canola.

Dont forget solar thermal for energy. Properly done it works well.

Meanwhile NASA cant match the efficacy of projects demonstrated a century ago.

Solar pumping is in phase with water demand.

Kirk

Tom Irwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Keith,

I was hoping by asking a generic
question with regard to farm size there might be the chance of an answer that I could use for my circumstance. Let me lay out the whole story instead. My land ( I wouldn´t call it a farm yet) is about 4 hectares. There is a tiny stream that in dry years goes dry in summer, according to the previous owner and neighbor. It splits the plot almost in half. I have two small ponds on one side of that stream that hold maybe 100,000 liters total. The land is flat with maybe a 1:100 slope on either side of that stream. The land had been fallow for at least one season when I first purchased it two years ago. I haven´t touched the plot with the ponds at all so it has remained fallow. The other plot had soil that was grayish brown to gray in color. It was very hard and tended to be quite bricklike in summer. Friability and tilth seemed to be lacking. I had the entire plot disked to chop up everything that was growing on it. Then I seeded with a mixture of red
and white clover. After the clover set seed I disked it all again. Now I have a much more brownish soil that doesn´t clump up and turn to brick. The clover is regrowing along with whatever else will grow natuarally with it.

From my reading on JTF, Dieoff and elsewhere I figure my family is going to need energy in some form and I want to grow my own fruits, vegetables, and eventually animals. I do not live on the land yet, there are no buildings. That is why I was looking into permaculture design. I´m setting off about a seven meter perimeter to establish hedgerows that will include fuel, fruit and timber trees, perennial herbs, and insectiary plants. I´m looking to plant about 300 to 400 olive trees of three different varieties.  They will be very widely spaced to permit hand picking, and alternately grazing space or cropping between rows.

But I´m worried about water. Gentle, all day rains occur occasionally But the shift
seems to be toward 2, 4, and 8 hour violent thunderstorms followed by 3-6 weeks of nothing. The area has a historical rainfall of 110 cm per year on average but who knows how that will go with climate change. Three more ponds with a total capacity of 500,000 to 1,000,000 liters seem like it would be enough but I´m not sure.  I´m fairly certain I can capture that much from the thunderstorms to use during the dry periods.  I could make the ponds larger but that would mean forgoing turning them into cisterns if the climate goes really dry.

I should be able to get 3000 liter of olive oil at maturity. That should be enough oil to pay the taxes, replenish toolsamd equipment, buy livestock, eat and make biodiesel for transport and generating electricity. I like the idea of permaculture with trees and perennials because it seems less labor and energy intensive. I´ve been deliberating other oilseed crops. That was where my question on Emergy came from. Any
insights are helpful. Thank you.

Tom Irwin

4zz57r