Hello Jan
  May I jump into the discussion? Jan you have just mentioned the word "salts"
isn't that one of the ingrediants for making very good quality soap? Hence
possibly helping make a great emultion during the first wash on the quality
esters. I am assuming that salts will remain in the whole process, not being
disolved in any manner from the methoxide right? Some salt should be drained
with the glycern right? Possibly leaving some salt in the unwashed ester.
    My last two reactions have had the same feedstock, ( a very popular
restaurant which salts their fry's heavily, lol) both reactions were two stage
acid/base reactions becos the titration is consistantly over 14 ewwwwww!!!! .
Here are the wash results from both batches of Quality Tested BD:
     Reaction #21  using 1500L unwashed oil as a feedstock:the resulting 1380
Litre batch of quality BD required 3.5 litres of pure 99% vinagar to break the
first wash emultion.
       Reaction #22 using  1500L PREWASHED oil of the same feedstock : the
resulting 1450L batch only required 1 Litre of 99% pure vinagar, to break the
first wash emultion.
      Jan  does this observation make any sense? Think it could be salt?
   -Rod.

Jan Warnqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
          Hello Joe.
  There were probably small amounts of mono- and diglycerides left in the
biodiesel, and/or possibly soaps which together are excellent emulsifiers. A
strong acid will divide the glycerides into fatty acids and glycerine ,and the
soaps into salts and fatty acids, which then goes into a fat phanse and an
aquaeus phase, possibly with the salts in the bottom.'
  Best regards
  Jan