>A friend in Vermont sent the following snippet. I hope his dyspepsia
>is better soon.

Unlikely, short of a lobotomy.

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/63634/

Magna Carta to be Bought, Branded With Asterisk

By Wolfrum
Posted on September 26, 2007, Printed on September 27, 2007
http://www.alternet.org/bloggers/wolfrum/63634/

This post, written by Wolfrum, originally appeared on Shakesville

When fashion designer Marc Ecko purchased the ball Barry Bonds hit
for his record-breaking 756th home run, he created an online poll and
let the public decide what he should do with the ball he bought for
more than $750,000.

The end result - Ecko will mark the ball with a large asterisk then
send it to Major League Baseball's Hall of Fame. The asterisk is a
sign of protest by the many fans who believe Bonds' achievement is
tainted due to rumors and allegations of steroid abuse by the San
Francisco Giants slugger.

This idea appears to have crossed over, as now a historic document
appears ready to go through the same treatment.

H. Ross Perot, billionaire and former candidate for President, has
announced he will auction off his copy of the Magna Carta. The 13th
century document, which was on display at the National Archives in
Washington for more than 20 years.

The document explicitly protected certain rights of the king's
subjects -- most notably the right of Habeas Corpus, meaning that
they had rights against unlawful imprisonment.

The copy is expected to fetch a price of up to $30 million at
auction. Nonetheless, several potential buyers have come forward
saying they plan on "Bondsifying" the document with a large asterisk
before donating it back to the National Archives.

"Being that Habeas Corpus is essentially meaningless in the U.S., so
is the Magna Carta, really," said one anonymous potential buyer. "It
really needs an asterisk so everyone knows it's not something we take
seriously anymore."

Other potential buyers have added that they'd like to buy a copy of
the U.S. Constitution, as well, and mark it with an asterisk.

"If you're going to privatize everything, you may as well sell the
Constitution, also," said one anonymous billionaire buyer. "I mean,
obviously it's been sold out from under us figuratively, so why not
literally? It would be perfect for an asterisk. Aside from that part
about quartering soldiers, it's become a pretty quaint old document,
wouldn't you say?"

Wolfrum is a regular blogger for Shakesville

© 2007 Independent Media Institute. All rights reserved.
View this story online at: http://www.alternet.org/bloggers/wolfrum/63634/