Notable Quotes

From:
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Monsanto

"Monsanto should not have to vouchsafe the safety of biotech food. Our
interest is in selling as much of it as possible. Assuring its safety is
the F.D.A.'s job" - Phil Angell, Monsanto's director of corporate
communications. "Playing God in the Garden" New York Times Magazine,
October 25, 1998.

"Ultimately, it is the food producer who is responsible for assuring
safety" - FDA, "Statement of Policy: Foods Derived from New Plant
Varieties" (GMO Policy), Federal Register, Vol. 57, No. 104 (1992), p. 229

"What you are seeing is not just a consolidation of seed companies, it's
really a consolidation of the entire food chain" - Robert Fraley,
co-president of Monsanto's agricultural sector 1996, in the Farm Journal.
Quoted in: Flint J. (1998) Agricultural industry giants moving towards
genetic monopolism. Telepolis, Heise.

"People will have Roundup Ready soya whether they like it or not" - Ann
Foster, spokesperson for Monsanto in Britian, as quoted in The Nation
magazine from article "The Politics of Food" [49] by Maria Margaronis
December 27, 1999 issue.

"'It's important for countries around the world to adopt a uniform
standard' of acceptable levels of contamination" - Biotechnology Industry
Association's Lisa Dry [50]

"The hope of the industry is that over time the market is so flooded [with
GMOs] that there's nothing you can do about it. You just sort of
surrender" - Don Westfall, biotech industry consultant and vice-president
of Promar International, in the Toronto Star, January 9 2001.

"The total acreage devoted to GM crops around the world is expanding. That
may be what eventually brings the debate to an end. It's a hell of a thing
to say that the way we win is don't give the consumer a choice, but that
might be it" - Dale Adolphe, biotech booster and President of the Canadian
Seed Growers Association and previous president of the Canola Council of
Canada (Western Producer, 4/4/02).

"I recognized my two selves: a crusading idealist and a cold, granitic
believer in the law of the jungle" - Edgar Monsanto Queeny, Monsanto
chairman, 1943-63, "The Spirit of Enterprise", 1934.

"Genetically engineered food constitutes a massive experiment on the
planet, with potentially devastating effects on human health and the
global environment" - Adam Kapp, Columnist for the Penn State Digital
Collegian, Nov. 7, 2002.

"Stark denials in the face of documented evidence to the contrary have
been corporate policy at Monsanto and GE for decades" - Eric Francis
author of Conspiracy of Silence [51]

"For years, these guys said PCBs were safe, too. But there's obviously a
corporate culture of deceiving the public" - Mike Casey of the
Environmental Working Group

"The thing I'm most proud of is the industry's impeccable environmental
and safety record" - Robert Fraley, Monsanto's technology chief [52]

"That is what drives a lot of people crazy. The scope of the fraud, if you
will--I know that's a harsh word--the scope of the fraud that's being sold
to the American public about this technology is almost unprecedented" -
Interview with Dr. Charles Benbrook on GMOs

"I'm not a religious person, but I think there's something just inherently
wrong with this-that they can take different species and combine 'em the
way they wanna combine 'em" - Phil Geertson, who runs a small seed
business in Idaho [53].

"I have the feeling that science has transgressed a barrier that should
have remained inviolate" - Dr Erwin Chargaff, biochemist and the father of
molecular biology in his autobiography

"Genetic Power's the most awesome force the planet's ever seen, but you
wield it like a kid who's found his dad's gun.... and before you even knew
what you had you patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic
lunch box, and now you're selling it, you want to sell it" Ian Malcolm
from Jurassic Park