Good one, Chris.
Regards,
Bob.

Oh, you mean I need to answer that? Choose sides? Um, isn't that the basic
problem here, choosing who are the good guys? Lemme see, perhaps I can work
it out.
First, let's get the word "terrorist" off the table. Very few entities can
be "terror organizations. Terror is a tactic or weapon used in warfare such
as, say, propaganda yet we do not generally refer to armies as "terror
organizations" or "propaganda" organizations". Consider the "shock and awe"
maneuvre that opened the Iraq War. The very name was calculated to create
terror, let alone the minimum 45,000 civilian casualties it caused. Should
we now refer to the Government of the United States as a "terror
organization"?

The situation in Palestine is such that terror is inflicted by both sides.
The IDF uses sophisticated weaponry to kill and maim Palestinian civilians,
factions within the occupied territories fire rockets - both (supposedly) in
the belief that it will somehow cause the opposite party to change their
minds. Therefore the term becomes meaningless - either both are terrorists
or neither. What we are left with is the question of morality or which is
the just cause.

What is going on is asymmetric warfare. The Israelis want the Palestinians
gone but they cannot just grind them under tanks or they would lose their
support in the U.S. So they blast a few houses, shoot a few Palestinians to
scatter the populace then move in a few settlers. The Pals want to scare the
settlers off so they fire rockets. Each is stuck in their own groove. The
Israelis get to sell the Pals to the world under the terrorist brand-name
(made so popular by Bush) the Pals slow up the settlement process. (If you
have ever wondered why 400,000 Israelis would go and settle where an
occasional rocket might spoil the day, check out the inducements:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CEED9103EF937A35750C0A9669
58260
....it's an old article but so is the strategy. The inducements are greater
now than ever.)

>From the Palestinian point of view, the settlers are the enemy. They are,
after all, knowingly moving into and taking over Palestinian land. They are
not innocent passersby. Consider how you would react if the US was still
occupied 60 years after a Japanese victory and the Japanese army was
clearing Americans from their homes, bulldozing them and financially
assisting Japanese into homes built on the land. Most Americans would see
those Japanese settlers as complicit I think.

The Israeli aim is to expel Palestinians from ancestral lands so if they
have an enemy, it is one they themselves have created. When they take aim
and fire at a civilian home, that civilian may indeed be innocent of any act
of war. For this reason I believe the Palestinian cause correctly merits the
term "just".

As it happens, the U.N agrees.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. In this conflict
Israel fights for territory, the Palestinians for freedom from oppression on
what remains of their land. The history of the conflict makes it clear that
the Pals are simply trying to hold on to the last 20% of the land that was
their own until half of it was given to Zionists by the victors of WW2. It
is not often understood by most commentators on this conflict that even if
the Israelis retreated to the pre-1967 borders the Palestinians would still
have given up over half their rightful homeland. Most Pals accept this. The
current desperate fight is to resist Israel's attempt to take it all and
expel the entire Palestinian population.

Which part makes me want to throw up? The whole damn mess, two groups of
people trying to push each other out of a potential Eden, egged on by the
greatest military power on earth while the world around us goes to hell in a
bucket.

Hmmm, didn't mean to sound off like that. Must've fogotten my medication