Keith,

I've recently bought 10 acres in France and am trying to plan an integrated
farm (as well as get my largely irrelevant French farming qualifications
required to be a farmer here).

Anyway, one of my problems is that I have very compacted clay and need to use a
subsoiler. I don't want to invest in a tractor. I saw that you used one on the
farm in Japan. Was it a tractor-pulled one or using some other form of energy?
Do non-tractor driven subsoilers even exist? I haven't been able to find any
information on them, I was considering driving posts into the ground and
pulling a subsoiler to the post using an engine fixed to the post and a very
strong cord of some sort (it seems potentially dangerous). Has anybody looked
into such alternative arrangements?

Another question. I've been wondering what alternatives exist for feeding
chickens. I think you were wondering about whether potatoes and their peelings
could do the job. How did this go? I've planted fifteen chestnut trees at
10-metre spacing, as these seem to have the right protein-carbohydrate balance
for poultry. Before I go and plant any more, I would like to verify their
suitability as a food source for poultry. Anyone? If not, I guess we could eat
them ourselves.

I may use wood pyrolysis for running an old tractor if I actually do end up
needing a tractor. Has anyone here actually managed it? Is the power really
only 1/3 of what the engine would produce using petrol (or alcohol)? Does
anyone here have any real-world experience of using this expedient technology?

Thanks for the inspiring work (and answering the questions that I'm only just
starting to ask myself),

David