"... Make your own fuel
<http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html> and no longer will
you have to worry about the rising price of crude oil, waiting at gas
stations, toxicity and health concerns, as well as the environmental
hazards of petroleum."

------

http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/20080425/gw1
Biodiesel decisions

Thinking of converting your jalopy to run on french-fry oil?
Wondering when guilt-free gasoline might be coming to your town?
Ethanol blues got you down? Read on.

By Andrew Januszak

I don't drive a biodiesel car and I definitely don't own anything
that could be converted to run on biodiesel as far as I know. But
it's looking more and more like I should start, because my wallet is
getting distressed and it seems like the planet is, too.

As a young-adult non-farmer with organic interests but no land, where
do I begin? Do I buy a diesel car and convert it to run on french fry
oil? If I don't have the means or the time to make it, where do I buy
it? What if I were a farmer and wanted to convert all of my equipment
to run on biodiesel? What crops would I grow to expel the oil? What
equipment would I use to process it? Could I actually sell it to turn
a profit? How do I know this is truly the most economic decision to
make?

With our lurch into ethanol showing the unintended ecological
consequences of burning crops for fuel, what are the extended impacts
of using anything we can grow as an alternatives to petroleum?

It's not difficult to imagine some of the questions people are
confronted by when they begin to contemplate the idea of producing or
converting their car, furnace or farm to use biodiesel, or any
biofuel for that matter.

All over the Internet biodiesel is gaining popularity. In theory,
it's a self-sustainable fuel anyone can produce. And people are
producing it-there's a handful of co-ops complete with websites; a
farmer up in Vermont who is producing and running his equipment on it
(see our archive article Green Energy); and there are even biodiesel
plants scattered across the country-but at what environmental and
economic cost?

Browse the web for just a couple minutes, and you can find a handful
of articles shedding light on current problems bubbling to the
surface of this greasy situation. Take the current feedstocks used
for example: Soybeans, like corn, had some great potential for fuel,
but now people are starting to notice the direct negative impact of
using food crops for something other than food. There's also a lot of
growing concern (pardon the pun) about rainforests being slashed to
make way for palm-oil production, and problems such as starting
temperatures (for engines in colder climates), refinement and
production prices, and other various feedstock issues.

Despite how old the technology appears, it's still relatively young
and in a heavy new experimental phase-where alternative processes and
feedstocks are being tested. While more and more information is
becoming available to everyone largely thanks to the Internet,
biodiesel still hasn't reached its ultimate peak of eco-perfection
where the ideal conditions are known (at least publicly) for it to
function on a large-scale and become a prime economical,
self-sustainable and environmentally friendly fuel.