>(oh, dear, you got me started. . .)

:-) That's nice.

>how about corpiracy (inflicted on
>us by the "neoprivateers"-nice little double entendre)?  probably not.
>  too cutesy.

Not bad. Corpiracy is good, needs the right pronunciation though;
neoprivateers is nice but it's not headline language (too cerebral)
(ie cerebral at all).

A comment this week (from a counter-terrorism expert!):

"Almost every product we consume has a hidden dark history, from
slave labor to piracy, from counterfeit to fraud, from theft to money
laundering. We know very little about these economic secrets because
modern consumers live inside the market matrix."
-- The Challenge Of Modern Slavery, Loretta Napoleoni, 07/05/08 "ICH"

Not sure if she means matrix or "Matrix" but it doesn't matter much.
I think it points in a more useful direction than just fingering the
perps. I keep saying something like that too, that or what another
commentator called the "Hollywood Hologram". (Kirk said they're
hypnotised.) Not much use knowing your enemy if you still can't see
how he's doing it to you.

>if a new word emerges, it'll most likely come from the
>street.

Just as long as it's not Wall Street.

>meanwhile, oligarchy works for me, too.  that, or babylon.

:-) The folks in the Green Roofs movement keep talking about
Babylon's great roof gardens, something we all need to emulate, they
say.

Meanwhile, at a corpiracy near you ...

Multinationals Make Billions In Profit Out of Growing Global Food
Crisis - Speculators blamed for driving up price of basic foods as
100 million face severe hunger
Published on Sunday, May 4, 2008 by The Independent/UK
<http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/05/04/8710/>

http://www.prwatch.org/node/7279
Lobbying: A Recession-Proof Industry
Source: Detroit News, May 1, 2008
While the U.S. economy has been slowing, lobbyists have been making
more than ever. According to the Center for Responsive Politics,
"businesses, labor unions, governments and other interests spent a
record $2.79 billion to lobby Washington in 2007, up 7.7 percent or
$200 million in spending the year before." The automotive industry
spent a new high of $70.3 million lobbying Congress in 2007; a 19.6%
increase over 2006. The change was due in large part to efforts to
oppose the enactment of higher fuel efficiency standards. General
Motors was responsible for over $14 million in lobbying expenditures,
while Ford spent $7.2 million, followed by Toyota with $5.9 million.
But the auto industry was not the biggest spender. Trade groups like
AARP and the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, or
PhRMA, topped it. And GM came in fifth in spending by corporations,
trailing General Electric, ExxonMobil, AT&T and Amgen. Center for
Responsive Politics executive director Sheila Krumholz said, "At a
time when our economy is contracting, Washington's lobbying industry
has been expanding. Lobbying seems to be a recession-proof industry.
In some respects, interests seek even more from our government when
the economy slows."
<http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080501/AUTO01/805010347>

Best

Keith