>From the Dr Rath Foundation  newsletter

The FDA and Vitamin B-6
In recent issues,  we have told you about Medicure Pharma's so-called
Citizens Petition to the FDA  to ban any dietary supplements containing the
natural
and active form of vitamin  B-6 called pyridoxal 5'-phosphate (P5P). A reader
has asked: what is the  difference between pyridoxine, the most common form of
B-6, and P5P? Most  supplements contain synthetic pyridoxine. Synthetic
pyridoxine won't be banned  -- why worry? Good questions! The short answer: we
can't
live without the P5P  form. P5P is the active as well as natural form of B-6.
Our lives absolutely  depend on it.
_http://www.healthfreedom.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=525&It
emid_
(http://www.healthfreedom.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=525&Itemid)
 =
Comment: If you live in the USA, please _write to the FDA and  Congress_
(http://ga4.org/campaign/FDApetitions)  to insist that the FDA says no to
Medicure
Pharma's outrageous  demand to ban P5P, the natural and active form of
vitamin B6.

The FDA and Vitamin B-6

_http://www.healthfreedom.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=525&Itemid_

(http://www.healthfreedom.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=525&Itemid)
 =

The FDA and Vitamin B-6 In recent issues, we have told you  about Medicure
Pharma's so-called Citizens Petition to the FDA to ban any  dietary supplements
containing the natural and active form of vitamin B-6 called  pyridoxal
5'-phosphate (P5P).  A reader has asked: what is the difference  between
pyridoxine,
the most common form of B-6, and P5P? Most supplements  contain synthetic
pyridoxine. Synthetic pyridoxine won't be banned -- why worry?

Good questions! The short answer: we can't live without the  P5P form. P5P is
the active as well as natural form of B-6. Our lives absolutely  depend on
it.

The key here is that your body can't use pyridoxine as such.  The pyridoxine
must be converted inside your body into the active form of the  vitamin, P5P.
Nor is this a simple process. First your stomach acid has to  separate the
pyridoxine from other foods. Then it must be absorbed in the small  intestine.
>From there it goes to the liver which actually converts it to P5P. If
pyridoxine isn't converted, it can't do its job. Your body can only use the the
 P5P.
That's why many people are low in B-6 as shown by blood tests. They may be
eating lots of B-6 rich foods and taking supplements, but if your body can't
convert these food sources into P5P, you will be low in B-6.

Does this matter?

Well consider some of the diseases linked with low P5P:

-- cancer
-- heart conditions
-- asthma
-- pain
-- depression
-- memory loss
-- migraine
-- PMS
-- psoriasis
-- carpal tunnel

Actually the list goes on and on, but you get the idea. P5P is  essential.
You need it for your blood to carry oxygen, for normal enzyme  reactions to
take
place, for your immune system, for your brain's  neurotransmitters, for blood
sugar levels, for hormones, for an endless list of  critical physical
functions. But -- here's the rub. SOME PEOPLE DO NOT CONVERT  PYRIDOXINE TO P5P
VERY
WELL. BY ONE ESTIMATE ONLY A THIRD OF PEOPLE ACTUALLY  CONVERT PYRIDOXINE TO
P5P EFFICIENTLY. THIS IS BELIEVED TO CAUSE A HOST OF  MEDICAL PROBLEMS RANGING
FROM HYPERACTIVITY IN CHILDREN TO FAILING IMMUNE  SYSTEMS.

In some cases, prescription drugs are the culprit. They may  interfere with
your body's ability to convert pyridoxine to P5P. Among the known  examples are
some drugs for arthritis and high blood pressure among others.

Let's now picture a world in which supplement companies are  barred from
making or selling P5P. Only drug companies can make or sell it and  only
doctors
can prescribe it. Your child is hyperactive or an elderly parent  has
Parkinson's? You have to persuade a doctor to prescribe it. It may not even  be
available in its pure form without other drugs mixed in. It costs a fortune.

Keep in mind: this is a B vitamin. One of the most basic and  bio-active
vitamins. We absolutely depend on it.

HAVE YOU WRITTEN THE FDA AND CONGRESS TO INSIST THAT THE FDA  SAYS NO TO
MEDICURE PHARMA'S OUTRAGEOUS DEMAND TO BAN P5P, THE NATURAL AND  ACTIVE FORM OF
VITAMIN B-6?  _IF NOT, PLEASE DO SO NOW_ (http://ga4.org/campaign/FDApetitions)
.  _http://ga4.org/campaign/FDApetitions_
(http://ga4.org/campaign/FDApetitions)

For more on P5P, an excellent summary can be found in  Naturally Well Today,
Dr Marcus Laux, ND's newsletter, Jan  2008.