Chip Mefford wrote:
> In short,
> I have a small chainsaw powered sawmill.
>
> Now, I'll not try to defend the chainsaw as environmentally sensitive,
> nor sustainable. I'll leave that be for now.
>
> But the bit that I'm stuck on right now, is that running this sawmill
> generates a lot of sawdust. Some folks will argue that chainsaw mills
> suck because of the kerf, and bandmills are better due to the smaller
> kerf. Again, I don't want to argue. On wide planks, my chainsaw mill
> gives me really flat and accurate cuts. Bandmills wander a bit. So
> -to me- it's a question of do I want to leave the sawdust at the
> milling site, or at the planer later. Machs nix.
>
> But with the thought of composting all that really nice and very
> fine sawdust, it occurs to me that the bar-oil content is an issue.
>
> So, no big deal I think, I'll just use this fancy environmentally
> friendly vegetable oil based bar oil. But being the person I am, I
> decided to critique this concept. Seems that all commercial
> 'environmental' bar oils are canola based. And even though one isn't
> supposed to, it's possible to get that bar and chain pretty hot.
> 'cooked' canola oil doesn't seem like the stuff with which I want to
> amend my food garden soil.
>
> So I start looking at other vegetable oils, since these products
> are used in forestry all over the world where forestry is a more
> careful practice than here in the US, and I see that all over
> europe and parts of africa, vegetable based bar oils are the standard.
>
> But is this stuff really superior in an environmental sense than
> ole dinosaur bones? Esp when it's been heated/cooked?
>
> What is a good vegetable oil lubricant that isn't a GMO product?
>
> Any and all clues deeply appreciated. .

Hello Chip,
despite you dont wont to deal with this rigt now,
your Chainsawmill is far from sustainable or economical!
The kerf on a chainsaw is at least 10mm to 12mm in compare to a
Bandsawmill 3mm!
Your claim bandsawmills wander a bit... only if your blade is dull or
badly maintained!
I cut on my Bandsawmill up to 4000pmp a day,average 2000pmp depends how
the wood is!
You can not possybly mach that nearly with a Chainsawcut!
But than thats what you got and you may as well use  it!
My boards are cut 1''  on center,  i plane  them down to 3/4  and have
therefore very little  sawdust  or  shavings,my shavings are  pressed to
Briquettes so  i have allmost no  loss!
Fritz