Guag Meister wrote:
> Hi Keith ;
>
> Quick update for you about our pigdozer project.  Our previous system for
> preparing a field for planting was the normal Cambodia way :
>
> 1) Plow in dry season to upturn roots and kill them.
> 2) Wait for some rain, this will germinate the remaining weed seeds.
> 3) Plow again.
> 4) Plow one more time before wet season to level for planting.
>
> This always infuriated me, because the naked earth was baking under the hot
> sun during the dry season.  This KILLS the soil.  But the concept was lost on
> them.  They could see no other way to kill the weeds.
>
> We set up an electric fence. There was a bit of a learning experinence for
> the pigs, but they are not stupid.  Now they will not touch the fence.  My
> staff report that they could be running away from something and they stop at
> the fence like a car puts on brakes.
>
> We flood the field with water every two days.  The pigs kill the grass and
> dig out all the strong roots of bamboo and other plants.  Their weight is
> increasing, but slower than if fed by commercial feed.  We also let them eat
> oil palm fruits, which they accept readily.  They also love breadfruit, and
> we planted local water spinach and just let them get it by themselves.
>
> We hit a bell when we give them table rice scraps in the evening. They follow
> the guy with the bell like puppy dogs.  If they ever do get out of the fence,
> we hit the bell and the pigs come running.
>
> Everyone is amazed, even the guy that took care of pigs for many years.  He
> never thought it possible for the pigs to follow him around like puppy dogs.
> The report back is that the rice is growing VERY well in the area dug by the
> pigs.  This is making big news with the locals.
>
> Now I get a wet, dug, and fertilized field without doing any work, without
> killing the soil, and without spending any money on diesel or pig food, and I
> get pig meat (and biogas later when we get to it).
>
> Fantastic!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Peter G.
> Thailand
> www.gac-seeds.com

Hi Peter,
congrat for the achievement!
My uncle had some 80 pigs or so and they have been kept in a half open
stall.The sleeping area was with a ligtly heatet tilefloor and the r was
a sort of gullyarea where the pigs did their manurething.this was kind
of selfcleanig.
I have never seen a pigplace as clean and almost no smell at all!
The pasture was with real black earth and a little pond was there so
they could get nice dirty!
Pigs are smart!
Fritz