Diet and Recovery from  Chronic Disease
By Ron Schmid, ND
_http://westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/chronicdisease.html_
(http://westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/chronicdisease.html)

Weston Price showed us that the fundamental cause of disease  is inadequate
nutrition. In virtually every indigenous culture he visited and  studied,
from tropical regions to the extreme north, people who were eating  entirely
according to the traditional wisdom of their ancestors were immune to
chronic diseases. His interviews of medical practitioners who served in these
areas confirmed the fact that diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, cancer,
tuberculosis and gastrointestinal problems requiring surgical intervention
did  not occur until the people began eating "the white man's foods"--sugar,
flour,  vegetable oils, canned goods and other refined foods.1

Price was not alone in his discoveries. In the first three  decades of the
twentieth century, many explorers, anthropologists and physicians  who
traveled in remote areas and lived amongst traditional people described the
splendid health and absence of chronic disease these people enjoyed.2,3

I first read Price*s classic work, Nutrition and Physical  Degeneration, in
the 1970s when I was studying to be a naturopathic physician. I  began
incorporating the dietary principles I learned into my own diet, and this  step
was instrumental in healing my chronic intestinal problems. Then, as I
began my work as a physician, I used the principles I learned from Dr. Price
with my patients. In 1987, I published my first book, Traditional Foods Are
Your  Best Medicine, in which I wrote extensively about Dr. Price's work and
its  application.

And yet, many of the people who have consulted with me over  the years have
had the same problem that I had: despite having some  understanding of the
nutritional principles that Dr. Price discovered and  elucidated, they often
have great difficulty in finding and implementing a diet  that will prevent
or reverse chronic diseases.

WRONG ASSUMPTIONS

One mistake made by nearly anyone seeking healing through food  is the
assumption that one diet is right for everyone. A corollary of this  premise is
the notion that a diet that worked well for you for a while will  continue
to be right for you indefinitely. On the contrary, each of us has  different
needs and idiosyncrasies. What works beautifully for me may not work  well
for you, and vice-versa. Furthermore, one's needs change over time, so that
your "best diet" today may well need to evolve dramatically over the weeks,
months and years.

An example: if you go from a diet of mostly steak, pasta,  Scotch and
cheesecake, to raw fruits, vegetables and juices, you might well feel  better,
lose unwanted weight, and think you*ve discovered the fountain of  youth--for
a while. But at some point--a point that will vary markedly for  different
people--you'll run into trouble. And many people will then think,  **Gee, I
did great on that diet. Why won*t it work now? Something  else must be wrong
since my diet is fine.**

But this is probably the wrong conclusion. The physical part  of the
explanation for health problems can almost always be found in the diet.  My
objective in this article is to explain some ideas about how each individual
may
use the nutritional principles Dr. Price discovered in order to move toward
his or her health goals. I'm a believer in the ancient credo "Physician,
heal  thyself," so I will start out with my own case and go on from there to
details  about my work with patients and then generalizations I think apply
to most of  us.

THE CHOLESTEROL TRAP

I initially fell into the trap of being overly influenced by  the
conventional wisdom about animal fats and cholesterol. Like most of us, I*d
been
thoroughly indoctrinated about the alleged dangers, and in the 1970s and  1980s
I read a lot of literature about "primitive" and "Paleolithic" diets,
which maintained that such diets, while high in protein, were low in fat. I
bought into this idea, and advocated the use of moderate amounts of meat and
raw  dairy foods along with large amounts of vegetables, fish, and some fruit
and  whole grains (a diet not unlike that which many Price Foundation
members report  that they eat).

Now that is a diet that many people do very well with for some  time, and
this was true for me. But as I described above, the belief  that the same
diet that you may have thrived on for a number of years will  always be right
for you is often fallacious. It*s  quite natural to make this error; we all
become attached to the things we like,  to our routines. Change is difficult.

AN ATTACK OF LYME

In the summer of 2002, I came down with a severe and  debilitating case of
Lyme disease. I'd had unexplained joint and muscle pain for  several weeks,
which I'd attributed to the normal strains of being an aging  athlete. On a
hot July evening after a long run in extreme heat, I experienced  severe
shooting pains throughout my upper body, with fever and chills, headache  and a
variety of other extremely uncomfortable symptoms. Only my training as a
naturopathic physician kept me from going to the emergency room--I knew there
 was nothing conventional medicine could do for me that I would want done.
These  symptoms raged on for several days, and I sent a sample of my blood
to a  laboratory that confirmed what I suspected--I was having an acute
attack of  chronic Lyme disease.

In the late 1990s, I had finally figured out, with the help of  the Weston
A. Price Foundation, that optimal native diets were invariably high  in the
fat-soluble activators available in animal fats. I'd begun using more raw
dairy foods and fatty meats to complement the huge amount of raw vegetables
and  moderate amounts of fresh fish and fruit that I'd eaten for decades.
When I came  down with Lyme, I'd just begun working on my next book, The Untold
Story of  Milk, which was published a year later.

I thought my diet was great. But why did I get sick? I've  always
maintained that if health is optimal, one should be resistant to all  disease,
acute
or chronic. Yet here I was with a debilitating case of Lyme  disease. What
was going on?

My lab tests made it clear that my Lyme was chronic, that I  had had it for
some time. The unexplained symptoms I'd been experiencing before  the acute
attack confirmed that the problem had existed for many months. I'd
continued to function at an intense physical level --two or three hours of
tennis
many days and runs of five to fifteen miles a couple of times a week. In
fact, I was overdoing it, and eventually the Lyme overwhelmed my system and I
became acutely ill. But the question remained, why had I been susceptible
to  Lyme?

Because of my basic assumption that the fundamental cause of  all disease
is faulty diet, I went back to the drawing board. I decided to  question all
my assumptions and make any changes that seemed reasonable.

Understanding what Weston Price taught-- as complicated as  that is--is
really just the beginning of understanding how to use food to  prevent and heal
chronic disease. Think of it this way: Price studied cultures  all over the
world, all of which ate wildly different diets. From the vast  amount of
information he gathered, he extracted certain principles about what  foods
were most important and the nutrients those foods contained. Based upon  these
principles, we must try to choose, from the foods available to us today,
those that will best supply the essential nutrients common to these varied
traditional diets. In so doing, it's essential to decide what the optimal
proportions of different foods are, how much of each to eat. Then there is the
question of which foods, and how much of them, are best eaten raw or
undercooked. These are among the issues I looked at in tackling my Lyme
problem.

I resolved that I would not take antibiotics. When the disease  is
diagnosed early, when it initially appears, antibiotics are not unreasonable,
and
often eradicate the organism that is involved in Lyme. Many people go this
route and never have a further problem. However, once Lyme is established for
 several months, as mine was, conventional treatment calls for months of
intravenous antibiotics. Results are at best mixed; I've interviewed many
patients who continued to suffer severe symptoms in spite of such treatment.

The symptoms of chronic Lyme tend to exacerbate into acute  attacks lasting
a few days about every four weeks, and that was my experience. A  month
after my first acute attack, I again had several days of marked symptoms,  but
this time only about half as severe as the initial attack. I'd been applying
 what I'd learned, and was eating much more animal food and much more raw
food  (more on this later). It took me three or four months to get to the
point where  I felt 95 percent well, to where I was playing tennis and running
again  (although less than before, having decided that there is wisdom in
moderation  and that discretion is the better part of valor). During my
recovery, I was  writing The Untold Story of Milk, and in the spring we bought
the
small farm  where we now live.

RECOVERY

My recovery from Lyme is complete; I do the usual farm chores,  milk cows,
build fences, carry heavy stuff, play some tennis and go for an  occasional
run. I feel **100 percent.**  And yet, the Lyme is there, and I  think
perhaps it may remain with me for several years. We*ve learned to live
together.
This requires some explanation.

I*ve often seen individuals recover from a chronic disease  only to have
the problem recur within a few months or years. Related to this is  the fact
that we all have health problems that go back to our younger years,  which
tend to come back periodically. It appears that with concerted effort in  the
areas of diet and lifestyle, chronic issues can usually be controlled to one
 degree or another, but they continue to lurk beneath the surface, only to
emerge  again when one lets one's guard down, so to speak. I believe that
the key to  healing more completely, at a deeper level, and eliminating the
recurrence of  chronic problems, is the same as the key to establishing a path
of recovery  initially in dealing with a chronic disease. And that is to be
very thorough in  one's approach to diet. Special food extracts,
supplemental nutrients, and  natural and herbal medicines should be used to
complement
the diet. But the  details of the diet and the supplements taken should be
highly individualized  according to one's tastes, medical history, resources
and health goals.

COMMON MISTAKES

The observations of Price and other anthropologists studying  native people
in their indigenous state and in the early stages of modernization  made it
clear that even small amounts of "the white man's foods" resulted in
sickness. We tend to think in black and white terms: that native people were
eating their native diets and were immune to disease, and then they started
eating lots of white flour and sugar and got sick. What really happened was in
 many cases much more subtle. Physicians on Arctic expeditions in the 1920s
and  1930s, referred to above, found that the introduction of relatively
small  amounts of refined flour products into otherwise pristine native diets
resulted  in some natives developing high blood pressure and heart disease.
Northern  Indians and Eskimos Price studied in trading villages commonly ate
a combination  of native foods and refined foods, and many developed the
diseases of  civilization. Meanwhile, Josef Romeg, a surgeon who spent 35
years amongst  native Eskimos and Indians and who was interviewed by Price in
1933, found that  native Alaskans with tuberculosis usually recovered when
returned to their  remote native villages--where none of the white man's foods
was available.

This calls to mind the work of Max Gerson, a medical doctor  who developed
a dietary treatment for cancer and other chronic diseases in the  1930s.
Gerson's regime involved large amounts of raw vegetable juices and raw  liver
juice (extracted in a special way by pressure, not by pulverization);
fermented raw milk; a variety of natural medications; and strict avoidance of
everything not specifically included in his program. Very thorough
documentation  exists showing that many of Gerson's patients recovered from
cancer  (virtually all had not had chemotherapy, a highly toxic therapy that
severely  impairs chances of recovery by natural means). Gerson was adamant
that the use  of even the smallest amounts of what he called forbidden foods
would prevent  recovery.

It's important to realize that we're considering here the  optimal diet for
people with very serious medical problems. What may work well  for the vast
majority of basically healthy people is very different from the far  more
stringent routine that seriously ill people may require.

The observations of Price, the early anthropologists and Dr.  Gerson are
entirely consistent with my own observations over the past  twenty-five years.
While most patients feel better and make at least a partial  recovery from
medical problems by adopting a diet that includes more of the  foods Price
showed us are critical to good health, at the same time many limit  the
extent of their recovery by their inability to go further in eliminating the
refined foods that cause problems, while failing to include adequate amounts of
 superior foods.

With this background, here are what I believe to be the two  most common
mistaken thoughts my patients have in attempting to recover from  serious
medical problems.

1. A little bit of refined foods won*t hurt.

2. A modest amount of high-quality animal foods is enough.

I*ve described some of the evidence that shows why number one  is a
mistaken thought. From hundreds of case histories from my own practice, let  me
give three examples as further evidence.

-- A 45 year-old man with chronic herpes for years remains  completely
symptom-free for several months but when he eats one or two  commercial walnuts
or a small cup of soup at a health food store, he breaks out  with herpes
sores the next day. A 60-year-old woman with painful arthritis in  her hips is
pain-free for weeks until eating three or four cookies at a birthday  party
for her grandson. The next day, her pain is so severe she has difficulty
walking.

-- A 22 year-old man with a ten-year history of epileptic  seizures at
least every two weeks has no seizures for three months. One  afternoon, he has
several handfuls of dried fruit and commercial cashews as a  *treat.*  Three
hours later, his roommate finds him in the midst of a grand  mal seizure,
and he is hospitalized for several days. These are not  coincidences. Through
careful observation of my patients and my own body, I've  concluded that
every food eaten has subtle (or sometimes obvious) effects.

The second common mistake in thinking-- that a modest amount  of
high-quality animal foods is enough--requires first at least a brief
explanation of
what high-quality animal foods are. Put simply, these are foods  that come
from animals fed their natural diets--grass-fed farm animals, wild  game and
wild seafood. This would include raw milk and the foods made from it
(cheese, yoghurt, kefir and especially butter and cream); red meats, especially

organ meats; fish and shellfish; and eggs from free-range chickens. How much
should be eaten raw and how much cooked, and how cooked, is an important but
 highly individual matter; however, the dairy products should always be
raw.  (Some individuals have problems with even the best raw milk and raw milk
cheeses.)

Many of these are the farm-fresh foods we*ve been taught to be  afraid of
because they contain cholesterol and saturated fat. And even when one  has
some understanding of Price's work, there*s a tendency to think that one
shouldn*t eat too much of these foods, perhaps just to be safe, to hedge one*s
bets a bit. And the mixed diet we*ve all been taught is essential--lots of
fruits and vegetables and whole grains--only leaves so much room for animal
foods.

But on the contrary, to put it succinctly: for most people  with chronic
disease, when it comes to fresh raw or lightly cooked food from  grass-fed
animals, you can*t eat too much. And the more the better.

THE FAT-SOLUBLE  ACTIVATORS

This principle is easy to understand in light of Dr. Price*s  discoveries
about the importance of fat-soluble activators found in significant  quantity
only in seafood and certain fats of grass-fed animals. The natural  forms
of vitamins A and D are crucial for mineral metabolism and immune  function.
The nutrient Price called **Activator X,**  (now believed to be  vitamin K2)
most richly concentrated in milk fat from cows grazing on rapidly  growing
pasture, may be the most important activator of all. Price was able to
reverse tooth decay and cure many diseases using *X-Factor* butter oil
concentrate in conjunction with high-vitamin cod liver oil.

The dosage of X-factor oil Price used to  treat a four-year old boy
suffering with rampant tooth decay and an unhealed  fracture is instructive--a
*large spoonful* five times a day! When I became ill  with Lyme disease, I had
for many years used cod liver oil daily, but not the  high-vitamin type, and
X-factor oil was not available. (Also, intense exercise  depletes vitamin A
and I was doing that on a daily basis.) I switched to  high-vitamin cod
liver oil, and when it became available about a year and a half  ago, I added
X-factor oil to my supplements. I*ve since used 2 large  tablespoonfuls a day
of high-vitamin cod liver oil, providing about 70,000 IU of  vitamin A and
7,000 IU of vitamin D, and two or three teaspoons of X-factor oil.

**High vitamin** cod liver oil is something of a misnomer, for  it actually
is *normal-vitamin* cod liver oil. Most popular brands of cod liver  oil
today have been molecularly distilled to remove up to ninety percent of the
vitamin A and D. This is in response to the general fear of overdosing on
these  vitamins, a fear which has been magnified to the point that many doctors
now  tell their pregnant patients not to eat liver. This fear is based on
misinformation, for it is the synthetic forms of  vitamins A and D that are
toxic in even moderate doses. The  natural forms of these vitamins, as found
in cod liver oil, liver and butterfat  from cows grazing on green grass,
are not toxic even in amounts far greater than  the substantial amounts that I
and many of my patients take. The "high vitamin"  cod liver oil we use is
actually cod liver oil that contains the normal content  of vitamins A and D
that naturally occur in this oil, a superfood that has been  used for
centuries as an elixir.

Cod liver oil also provides the fatty acids eicosapentaenoic  acid (EPA)
and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), unknown in Dr. Price*s day but now  recognized
as important factors to human health.

RAW VERSUS FERMENTED

Prior to getting Lyme disease, I had for decades habitually  consumed a
large raw vegetable salad nearly every day. But about two years ago,  I
switched to fermented vegetables almost exclusively, primarily unpasteurized
kimchee, which is loaded with live enzymes. Fermented vegetables are wonderful
for digestion, and provide far more enzymes than fresh salad vegetables. I
believe that the healthiest diets are built around grassfed animals (meat,
organs and bones) and raw milk products, and fermented vegetables.
Traditionally  prepared vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds, fruits and other
foods
play  complementary roles.

CAN'T EAT TOO MUCH

These facts provide a basis for understanding the principle  that most
people with chronic disease simply can*t eat too much top quality  animal food.
It*s my belief that this simple but little understood principle is  a key to
recovering from chronic disease. It certainly has been central in my
recovery from Lyme disease; I have lived on little but raw milk, raw or very
undercooked grassfed beef, and fermented vegetables, along with my cod liver
oil  and X-factor butter oil supplements, for over a year now.

Think too of the *milk cure* described in the Summer, 2002  issue of Wise
Traditions. The milk cure is nothing less than a diet of 100  percent raw
animal food--and it works best when the cows are  strictly grass-fed.

I mentioned above the fact that chronic diseases often linger  and recur.
What appears to happen is that we go far enough with our diets to  alleviate
symptoms, but not far enough for long enough to completely change the  body
in a way that eliminates all traces of the disease. Gerson found that
eighteen months of intense therapy (and the therapy was incredibly intense,
calling for twelve glasses daily of raw vegetable juice, three glasses of raw
liver juice, fermented raw milk, coffee enemas, a host of supplements and
various other special foods) were required to have a reasonable chance of
eliminating cancer or other serious chronic diseases. Even then recurrences
would strike if one strayed too far from a very careful diet.

My own belief is that human beings are designed to function  optimally on a
diet made up exclusively of perfect food. When after a  lifetime--be it 20,
40, 60 or 80 years--of eating way too much of the wrong  stuff, we begin
eating the right stuff, it just takes time for the  body to really come
around. One might feel better quite rapidly  indeed, even after just a few
days; I
see this often in my patients. But a  deep and thorough healing appears to
be a very long process.

And the kicker is that even small amounts of  poorly chosen or even
less-than-optimal foods appear to slow down or derail the  healing process. An
example: early in dealing with my Lyme  disease, I adopted an all raw-foods
approach for a time, including raw meat and  fish and raw milk. I also included
unprocessed, unheated honey. Over the course  of a few months, it became
clear to me that honey was one factor in my diet that  was clearly responsible
for the continued low-level symptoms of Lyme I  experienced. Honey was
something I simply could not eat if I wanted full  recovery. Similarly, there
was
no place for any but the smallest amount of fruit  in my diet if I wanted a
complete recovery. This need to eliminate nearly  everything sweet in order
to get well has been the case for many of my patients,  patients with a
wide variety of medical problems.

The highly addictive nature of not only sweets and other  highly processed
modern foods, but also carbohydrates in general, including  whole grain
foods, makes the extreme regime of the milk cure or any similar  program based
on animal foods a difficult proposition for many people to accept.  The heart
of the matter lies in the relative importance one assigns  food in the
overall scope of one*s life.

To put it in terms of extremes: some people see food as  entertainment, as
an end in itself, and some see food as fuel, as a means to an  end. Of
course we all fall somewhere in between these extremes, but most of us  fall
closer to one pole than the other. The more food becomes a means to an end,
the
easier it is to gravitate to foods that promote health. This does not mean
that eating simple foods cannot be a great pleasure. In fact, the tastes of
 plain foods--fresh raw milk, unadorned meat or fish, perhaps raw or
lightly  cooked with butter and perhaps spices, fermented vegetables--become
more
pronounced and satisfying as one consistently avoids sweets, breads and
other  prepared foods. The satisfying and satiating taste of animal fat far
surpasses  the instant and temporary allure of sweets and starches.

While it is clear to me that carbohydrates that are either  refined or are
not prepared in traditional ways are to one degree or  another a problem for
people seeking recovery from chronic disease, the role of traditionally
prepared sprouted and fermented grains  is much less clear to me. I simply
don't have much experience with the latter  (I'm a food-for-fuel type). It
seems
to me that these foods may often play a  role in healing diets, for Price
found healthy traditional cultures that  included traditionally prepared
grains. And too, I know of numerous reliable  reports of people recovering from
chronic problems using mixed diets that  included traditionally prepared
grains as well as bone broths.

At the same time, I believe it pays to be aware of how  different each of
us is when it comes to nutrition and healing. The principles  Dr. Price
discovered apply to each and every one of us, yet it appears that many  of us
have idiosyncrasies that profoundly affect our ability to heal and obtain
optimal health. The reward of a willingness to experiment and make changes can
be profound; the confidence that one*s body will function smoothly and
effortlessly into advanced age may provide a unique satisfaction. And when and
if it doesn't--well, then back to the drawing board; life is change, and
every  symptom has a lesson.