On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Darryl McMahon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Evacuated vacuum tube systems are gaining in favour for solar water
> heating locally in recent years, though I'm still not a fan.  They just
> seem overly complex and expensive for their gains over low-tech approaches.
>
> The advantage of evacuated tubes is that they are more immune to outside
temperature.  Flat plate collectors, to varying degrees, lose efficiency as
the outside temperature goes down.  Evacuated tubes have a much lower
degradation as the outdoor temp goes down.   In -20F outdoor conditions,
they can still produce 200+ water.   Or, in hazy overcast conditions, they
can still produce hot water when a flat plate collector might not have
enough incoming radiation to overcome the losses.

However.... much of the time, it's sunny enough that it doesn't matter --
like an a typical 50F day with good sun... why bother with the additional
expense.  The other drawback is that they are so well insulated that they do
not melt snow off themselves.  So, if used in a snowy climate, they need to
be mounted where snow cannot get on them (vertical south facing wall), or
else they get icebound and don't work.