Kirk McLoren wrote:
> The pull is so weak a compass  takes some time for the needle to steady. Also
> the needle has to be very free to respond at all.
> Seems like too weak a force to be the cause.
> Kirk

the magnet in a compass is generally quite weak... I suppose that you
could take this same test assembly, rotate it 180 degrees, and see if
the opposite pole is the one that rolls off the aluminum sheet.  If the
effect is due to the magnetic field of the earth, it should.  Or rotate
it 90 degrees, and find out if the effect happens with either pole
toward the aluminum sheet...

doug

--
Contentment comes not from having more, but from wanting less.

All generalizations are false.  Including this one.