Sorry, I have no Japanese skills or contacts.  With Mandarin or
Cantonese, I might have been able to find someone.

So, I resorted to babelfish.  Better than nothing, I hope.

==================

< The echo car > “quiet” the danger of lying hidden.

September 23rd 9:11 transmission everyday the newspaper
The hybrid car which designates wet sanding with gasoline the motor as
power (HV) and the electric automobile which it runs with the electric
motor (EV) and the like the environmental corresponding car (the echo
car). The country supports purchase with the tax reduction and subsidy
and advances spread. Quiet there is no engine sound but feature, the
visual handicapped person who judges sign with sound appeals the
insecurity of accident. The national traffic ministry last month, the
independent administrative corporate body traffic safe environmental
laboratory (Tokyo Chofu city) with participated in the experience
meeting which hears the travelling sound of the echo car which was
opened in for the intellectual person and the visual handicapped person
and the reporting authorized personnel.

*

In the experience meeting, Toyota [puriusu], HONDA [insaito] and
NISSAN [aruteima] of HV, EV Mitsubishi [aimibu] (1-MiEV), it compares
with the gasoline engine car. When I open the eye at the point in time
when the car which gets near from the rear can be recognized and get
near to somewhere it verified whether you understand.

It could react with speed per hour 25 kilometer, relatively with the
rear. The body is moved aside to the shoulder, may be also a room which
avoids the car. But, low-speed time below speed per hour 10 kilometer
drastic change. Sound is small, is not audible. Advancing to the front
from the position where I stand at the point in time when the eye was
opened the car which reaches, already passes. In residential town and
the like which the car runs at low speed, you felt that can be also a
scene which the senior citizen and the child make [hiyari] sufficiently.

Next, it verified by the car which puts out sound such as chime and
melody and the false engine sound where each company advances research.
As for volume same as gasoline powered vehicle. The chime was easy to
understand, but if it stands on side of the operator, it comes to the
point of continuing to hear systematic sound and it probably is
unpleasant. It has the necessity to search the sound where it can accept
each other.

Arrival sound of the portable telephone and sound of the traffic
light, there is also a departure bell of the station “in the town. You
cannot distinguish,”. Yasunaga Telecom child of all blindness which
comes to experience meeting (60) as for = Tokyo Suginami Ku = deciding
that “with the sound which each company standardization is easy to hear,
you do not use other than the car. Life catches”, that order was acquired.

*

Experience meeting, the diplomatic relations ministry gathering the
intellectual person in the July this year, was done it started as part
of examination “of the measure research committee regarding the quiet
sound characteristic of the hybrid car and the like”. Still there is no
report of the accident where being too quiet occurred with cause
officially, but you say that the voice which demands consideration over
60 cases is moved aside to manufacturer each company in 3 - 4 years. In
the questionnaire where Toyota in 07 designates the HV owner et. al as
the object, operator side 7 tenths “the super some pronunciation device
it has needed”.

Alone, the quiet of HV of the member, with great professor Nakano
Yasushi will Keio which researches the safety of the pedestrian
(handicapped person psychology) “but in the experience meeting the car
passed the side of the person just, when, verification of the car such
as the crossover and intersection of the alleyway is necessary very, it
points out that accident is supposed”. Also the Toyota person in charge
said “whether it is good to support the driver where careful driving is
required, with the system of some vehicle examination is continued”.

The diplomatic relations ministry next month, opinion collection
(public comment) is the schedule which is begun from generality. <Emi Aoki>

=========
OK, babelfish has limitations, but I think I get the gist of it.  (I
would still welcome a better translation in case I missed something.)

In a country (Japan) where hybrids and EVs have been commerically
available for over a decade, there are no reported collisions where the
vehicle being too quiet was listed as a cause.

They acknowledge that the use of a continuous noisemaker will be
irritating for the vehicle operator.

I do like that they acknowledge that aiding the vehicle operator where
careful driving is required is an option.  I'm all in favour of a low
volume courtesy noisemaker that is under the manual control of the
vehicle operator.  Something that can alert nearby pedestrians without
being obnoxious like a regular car horn.

Once we have the protection of the visually impaired resolved, do you
think we'll have to find a way to protect pedestrians with headphones
cranked up and just oblivious from EVs and HEVs?

I'm completely lost as to why different manufacturer's would have
different sound signatures.  Why wouldn't one sound (for my manually
controlled courtesy noisemaker) for all quiet vehicles be sufficient?
Including bicycles up to and including human-powered quadricycles.

Darryl

robert and benita rabello wrote:
> Darryl McMahon wrote:
>
>> AAARRGH!! NO, NO, NO, NO!!
>>
>> Let's understand the real problem and fix that!
>>
>> The problem is NOT that electric and hybrid cars are too quiet.
>>
>> The problem is that other vehicles in our urban settings are too noisy.
>>

>     I hear, you, Darryl.  However, I just got into a discussion in
> another forum about this very topic, and someone referenced THIS article:
>
> http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20090923-00000007-maiall-bus_all
>
>     It's in Japanese, so I can't read it, but I was hoping Keith or some
> other list member might comment on its contents.
>
> robert luis rabello
> "The Edge of Justice"
> "The Long Journey"
> New Adventure for Your Mind
> http://www.newadventure.ca
>
> Ranger Supercharger Project Page
> http://www.members.shaw.ca/rabello/

Darryl McMahon

The Emperor's New Hydrogen Economy (in trade paperback and eBook)
http://www.econogics.com/TENHE/

Latest review of The Emperor's New Hydrogen Economy in Greenlife Magazine
http://www.econogics.com/TENHE/tenheGLspring2009.htm