Copionics - Arthur Shaw

<http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/issues/004/004-006-01.htm>

Issue # 4 - July 1970

The Plowboy Interview

The following PLOWBOY INTERVIEW originally appeared in ZYGOTE, a new
Rock-Culture magazine (out of New York recently and, while there,
stopped in to get acquainted with the ZYGOTE staff. During that
visit, I asked Allen Richards, the turned-on young writer responsible
for this piece, if Arthur Shaw and his theory were really on the
level. Allen immediately made arrangements for me to visit Mr. Shaw
and his family in their apartment on Manhattan's upper west side.
There, over a late Saturday breakfast and a magnificent view of the
polluted Hudson River, I got to know Arthur Shaw just a little bit.

He's a fascinating individual with an elusive ability to seemingly
offer answers while actually pulling new thoughts and clarified
visions out of minds and - particularly - the hearts of those around
him. After four hours with Arthur I was so turned on that I walked
and thought myself completely across Manhattan from the Hudson to 1st
Ave. and south from 92nd to 67th St. If you know the territory, you
know that's a "fur piece". Arthur Shaw does things like that to you.
- JS

-----

There is a plan, there is a theory, there is a man who is trying
desperately to shake the course of the world from what he feels, and
what many ecologists have predicted, is the path leading to race
suicide. There has been extensive research and mathematical planning
and there has even been a word invented to describe his labors:
Copionics.

Copionics is the theory that is being preached relentlessly by Dr.
Arthur Shaw in an effort to make the "aware" people of our world
realize the true situation on earth. Copionics is the theory of
economic abundance . . . it is the plan that may possibly save the
world from its fate.

I met Arthur Shaw about six months ago, and initially thought he was
a deluded quack who must have gone mad sometime during his research
and planning for this theory of Copionics. But that was before I
really got acquainted with his life-style. He is not mad. He is
definitely not mad. Arthur is a soft-spoken, deliberately-worded and
prophet-like man, who has been involved with many inventive projects
in the past. Here's some of his biography:

Shaw attended Brooklyn College, New York University, and St. John's
University, where he received a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree. He
has worked with his own organicchemical production company and headed
a public corporation in plastics, where he did work on expandable
plastics. He has been in construction and he did experiments in new
forms, particularly in a concrete of his own design and invention.

Arthur once devised a scheme in communications called "envelets"
which he proved would reduce the cost of letters by one-third. He's
also done research in underwater craft. But Shaw's most important
endeavor - and the exigency of this can not be stressed enough - is
Copionics.

Exactly what does Copionics mean, what does it do, how will it help
us? I can't give an all-inclusive, detailed report of this economic
theory but I can offer this introduction to Dr. Arthur Shaw and his
plan. Copionics is something 1 believe in, and that I feel is a valid
offering to our society by a brilliant and devoted man. This is
something I trust. I hope we will be witnessing Copionics in practice
soon.

Plowboy: What is Copionics?

AS: Copionics is the theory of global sufficiency. It's both an idea,
a theory, and a means of effectuating plenty on a planetary basis.

Plowboy: What are you trying to expound with the theory of Copionics
besides plenty? What are you trying to tell the people of this planet
that we have to do?

AS: The information about the plenty is becoming more and more
general, a statement that there was enough for all on Earth was
greeted with a good deal of doubt, questioning and - even - scorn not
too many years ago.

Plowboy: Were they questioning your statement?

AS: Yes. I have been indicating global abundance as a mathematically
provable fact. Something we can inventory and show for over a score
of years.

Plowboy: Twenty years?

AS: Yes, more than that. Now at this point then, just the statement
of plenty adds to existent growing knowledge. The idea to implement
this plenty, and to implement it and effect it, is the contribution
specifically of the program, World Economic Organization. W.E.O. is
an expression and a program to demonstrate and prove Copionics. Your
question is how does it operate, what does it say, how does it
propose to effect plenty.

Copionics is a negation in itself of the very basis for our present
scarcity - economics. It negates scarcity in that it states that the
sufficiency of the planet can be made available to all its
inhabitants. Moreover, the distribution and the satisfaction and
fulfillment of all mankind can be accomplished gainfully. Perhaps
this is the key: That we are not talking about a charitable or a
give-away program - a program of "foreign aid" - but, rather, the
expression of natural exchange.

Plowboy: What do you mean by natural exchange?

AS: We find that the processes by which man lives, whether they are
technological or processes of nature or anatomical functions, are al
l- in effect - natural in exchange. For example, our exchange with
plants . . . the C02 - oxygen cycle . . is a free and gainful
exchange between the parties to the "trade". There is no tariff,
there is no charge and both plant and animal gain in the
relationship. The nitrogen cycle, the formation of crystals in a
super-saturated solution, are all examples of the largesse - of the
abundance - in natural functions. The scarcity premise, the scarcity
concept with which man has somehow burdened himself, is an unnatural
precept. It does not sit with, nor is it normal, to natural life.

Plowboy: It's not in the natural way of living.

AS: It's not in the natural way of living nor is it consistent with
fact. We have presupposed that there is not enough and the laws of
the market have been devised to accord with this idea of "not enough"
. . . which is wrong. We're challenged. As soon as we have begun to
talk of sufficiency, and this is the nature of our present knowledge,
we are faced with a challenge.

Plowboy: How do we effect it then? How do we deal with this sufficiency?

AS: In World Economic Organization - which, again, is the
demonstration of Copionics - we take factual and actual data and
conditions and assemble the data into a flow chart, a visible
directive for our actions. To be more specific, we know what's
produced in various areas of the globe. Certainly we know the need -
need which we somehow accept today - in terms of two-thirds of the
world's people being hungry and 10,000 starving to death per day.

We note these two series of facts - free availability and need - in
the W.E.O. computer-programmed flow chart and, in the expression of
the satisfaction of the need, we demonstrate the feasibility of
free-flow exchange.

The prime question that occurs and will occur to any economist is,
"how to effect payment, how to make free exchange happen, how to
motivate free exchange." And here a notion of Copionics called
resource credit is employed.

Plowboy: Could you give us some figures of the abundance of the food
that could be distributed? How much do we waste, how much is there .
. . how much most people don't even know about?

AS: The first expression of Copionics, in W.E.O., is in food, the
food program. For there is the most apparent area for us to
demonstrate sufficiency. The isolated pieces of news we have about
the glut of wheat in Canada or the oversufficiency of potatoes plowed
under out west is not persuasive enough. However, we have arbitrary
and objective data.

For instance, the amount of cultivation on this planet - in terms of
vegetation per day - comes to something in the area of over 200
pounds per capita. This represents vegetation which can be
reprocessed, which can be extracted.

Plowboy: Over 200 pounds a day?

AS: Yes, per person. Presently, we share (or fail to share)
two-thirds of a pound per person per day, and you and I know that
when we eat one and a half pounds of food per day, we've lowered the
amount for someone else, elsewhere.

This cultivation I refer to, by the way, is an unplanted amount of
vegetation. This does not come by man's hands or effort. It is
indicative of the abundance of nature itself.

Plowboy: Can we eat this vegetation?

AS: This can be recovered. There are known extraction processes, yes.
We have a figure of one-half million square miles of cultivated land
in the world which is devoted to wheat and soybeans and oats and so
forth. We know that there are 5.5 million square miles of acreage
suitable for immediate cultivation. That is to say, with the
appropriate water, the right kind of soil and so on. So there is a
reserve of 11 times what we presently use as cultivated land.
Moreover, we are increasingly familiar with hybrid seeds that are
five-fold productive - wheat, corn, rice and others - which, alone,
can be a total solution to man's hunger.

Plowboy: Why is this not distributed? Why aren't corporations doing
something about it?

AS: There's no profit in it. If people can't pay, then the exchange
doesn't happen.

Plowboy: Do they know about it?

AS: They know that there's sufficiency or they certainly should know.
This is their responsibility if they are in government, in the
agri-food business, etc. These are items of knowledge that are
available to anyone. The politicians certainly should know.

Again, it comes back to our constraint: There is an economic premise
of scarcity and, somehow, that premise of scarcity has governed our
decisions. This is the way it is! And once the premise is accepted,
all of the laws of economics automatically evolve - The Law of Supply
and Demand, The Law of the Least Useful Unit - all things we learn at
school and accept and nod our heads to.

This is the shape of the world. This is the existing situation and we
accept it. We're conditioned to this and not only in school. I mean,
this is the way our parents react because they accept this. No one
denies this total commandment. We are all 'hooked' on scarcity . . .

There's a definition of the Law of Supply and Demand that I think I
should give. One economist, Samuelson, puts it, "When the rich man's
dog gets the milk that the poor man's child needs to avoid rickets,
is the system working badly? No. It is working as it is designed to
do - putting goods in the hands of those with the most money or
dollar votes."

This may sound reprehensible. Actually, it is colloquially well put
and it represents the accepted economics - the exchange situation -
in our world. We have given up.

Since we all accept the false premise - there's not enough - since
our world is so governed, the gaps increase between nations, as they
do between races and peoples. And, of course, the gap between
generations and minds seems equally to conform. It is this gap, with
its many faces, that is our threat today. Because it is this gap
expressed in environmental destruction, expressed in war and
violence, which represents the many faces of our fixed system.

Plowboy: Does Copionics require violence or revolution?

AS: For some of us, angry and committed to deep change, there may be
at first some disappointment. For Copionics requires no violence, no
expropriation. Copionics is deep change. The realization of
sufficiency can be effected and expressed and accomplished with no
harm to any group or any class.

Plowboy: Wouldn't this radically change our society though? I mean,
there's some guy across the street who must be watching his color
television.and dreaming of his freshly polished Cadillac. Would he
have to worry - I mean would he say, "I can't let this happen, what
about my TV and Cadillac?"

AS: Well, the super-abundance of our world - of our life - the
amazing sufficiency expressed in the comprehension that there is
limitless energy flowing into our world, puts the Cadillac in an
appropriate perspective. No one need want more than that . . . the
lives of us all would be full and fulfilled.

You ask how all this will change our lives? I think the expression of
free-flow that man will see and enjoy will create for him the
realization that he can enlarge himself in terms of feeling, in terms
of idea; in terms of expression. In matters that have real meaning .
. .

Plowboy: We're so restricted . . .

AS: Yes. Plowboy: We should stop listening to all the ideas that have
been put down, that say, "Do it this way." We're asking - and you're
asking - for what appears to be a human revolution.

AS: Yes, I think that is the fundamental thing. If we break through
this basic constraint which is something we've been saddled with -
the acceptance of scarcity - I think the implications will free us in
every way. And I think the students, the young people, sense this -
realize this, feel this - and that Copionics provides them with a
program, a tangible device to show this to all people, to show this
to their parents, to show this to the businessman, to show this to
the technician, to show it to the world.

Plowboy: You mentioned college students growing more aware of
Copionics. What has been happening on college campuses with it?

AS: At one campus, Queens College, an Abundance Club has been started
with the idea that the information - the facts that "we have it made"
- can be told at the school level, as well as at all other levels of
life.

You must remember that we are attempting to make pragmatic the facts
of availability. Just to express it might mean continuation of our
present affairs. What can we do? You know we're restrained by the Law
of International Balance of Payments: Capital formation . . . growth
for the Have countries, while the Have-Not countries become
increasingly Have-Not.

What good is this information of sufficiency if it is not effected?
And this is our challenge: To put this into program form, to put this
into computerized statement. This is our work and objective,
presently.

Plowboy: Could you mention where else there is work and consideration
of Copionics occurring?

AS: The program has been discussed - not only with students - but
with members of faculty, heads of universities and economists such as
the heads of graduate schools at Columbia, Ohio State, etc. More than
one university faculty member is a trustee in World Economics
Organization. Presently, there are many professors and graduate
students working on models for this program.

It's not the ecologists alone who pointed out that race suicide is
our terminal point. All strata indicate the exponentially increasing
danger to us all. We've all read the predictions that society is
headed for a disaster.

Plowboy: I want to ask you about the computer system - how does this
function in solving our problems? You said you feed in the data of
abundance and scarcity and compute a "free-flow" or, I suppose, a
nearly ideal distribution. Is this feasible? Can it be done?

AS: Yes, it can be done. Primarily and particularly because we are
relying on the gain factor, the multiplier theorem which has
acceptance and economic recognition. The expression of resource
credit that I previously mentioned is the method and the means for
justifying the exchange for "payment". With that credit provided,
which in itself is backed by the true facts of global plenitude, It
happens, It occurs: We have the balance of Supply with Need. I like
to state this in present tense because this is something which is
accomplishable NOW.

We do have it made. I mean, abundance is the condition of our world
as an object, as an ascertainable, as a mathematical, as a realizable
fact. And perhaps the word realization is the key. Because, in our
knowledge that all men can benefit, we are presently divided. The
fact of accumulation and its need is the cause for our wars and our
dissatisfactions.

Plowboy: Well, how would you then distribute . . . who would
distribute this abundance of food?

AS: If you look at the total idea as one of enlarging trade, I think
the accomplishment becomes, not formidable, but easily comprehensible
and assimilable. This, in effect, is what we do. We set forth that
all the world is the market and that there is availability to supply
all the world. The present channels, the present means, are
continued. The mechanisms for distribution continue.

It's as though we come to you and say we can enlarge the Gross
National Product of each country and the global product of the world.
We are enlarging the market to encompass the two-thirds of the world
that is not considered a market.

Plowboy: Don't you think it would hurt the present market system . .
. keep it from functioning properly?

AS: No. There would be no alteration of our methodology for trade.
Certainly there would be a greater assurance for those who produce
because of an assured market. This is a gain over present
technologies. The larger gain is in the profitable enlargement of the
total market.

Plowboy: With this increase of distribution - where everyone,
everywhere would receive food - do you think it would be possible to
maintain a constant level? I mean, there would be no famine or wasted
harvests? Could we actually have one constant level?

AS: Yes, that is our goal: Homeostatic balance.

Plowboy: Arthur, how do you think these economic changes would affect
politics? What would be the political implications?

AS: I think political forms - the ones based on scarcity - will be
varied, will be altered. I think they will coalesce and all forms
will become one. Politics and political forms are economic
expressions, and this is what we should stress. With the alteration
of economics, political forms will alter too. And if scarcity is
obsolete, of course these forms will convert over to something much
more fulfilling to man.

If I can add something too, Allan: Many young people are concerned
with "the computerized society". There's a large fallacy there, and a
large need to get rid of: The fear that a machine will be running us.

It's hardly that. I mean, we merely turn over to a very efficient
device, the computer, the rote and mechanical and ministerial
functions of food-getting and the like. It's similar to our own body
organization. We don't protest breathing or osmosis by our body
mechanisms. Because of them, we're free . . . to think, to ideate.

In a sense, this ought to and can occur between men. Things which
occur naturally, automatically, in our own anatomy will be occurring
between men and we'll be free for the first time. Really free. To
live, make love, create, play the guitar, whatever.

Plowboy: This may be very difficult for people to accept and to
believe as a practical theory. It may sound too idealistic to many.
How has the World Economic Organization been received?

AS: Well, the reaction has been pretty negative - up to the last
three to five years.

Plowboy: Exactly how long have you been pursuing this plan?

AS: About 25 years. But today there is a growing kind of acceptance
instead of the resistance (and that's putting it mildly) I met
before. There are people now who just recognize and realize and feel
and comprehend Copionics . . . and these are people not only in
ecology or in mathematic sciences, but economists! And there's a
feeling that there can be a break through this indomitable wall -
this indomitable creation of scarcity - economics.

Plowboy: Do you think it's the growth of the ecological movement
that's helped you, or is it just the growing awareness that we are in
real trouble?

AS: I think ecology and awareness of trouble are really one. They
represent a threat. I think Copionics will develop because of its
promise, rather than as a result of any threat. Man's hope is the
thing to look to.

Plowboy: Do many people tell you you're crazy?

AS: Oh yes, yes.

Plowboy: What's your reaction to that?

AS: There are people who find abundance a threat because scarcity is
their accustomed way of thinking. Freud says the threat of health,
the threat of success, is an awful one for many of us. Not only for
the so-called "sick" people, but for most of mankind.

Plowboy: Arthur, I want to ask you one last question: Do you think
you're crazy?

AS: (pause) Well, if man is bent on his own destruction, if the
predictions of many of our best minds are correct and this species is
coming to its end - inevitable end - then I think the criticism would
be valid . . . I am crazy.

I offer an approach that is contrary to all our scarcity
conditioning, an approach against the awful "design" of our present
system. It would be the madness, then, of optimism, if you will. The
madness of life against death. The madness of health against sickness.

"When the rich man"s dog gets the milk that the poor man's child
needs to avoid rickets, is the system working badly? No. It is
working as it is designed to do - putting goods in the hands of those
with the most money or dollar votes. "

Is Arthur Shaw crazy? I know he's not. What about you?

If you are interested in saving our world... if you want to help
spread the ideas of Copionics . . . if you are an economist, a
mathematician, a lawyer, a systems-analyst, a writer, a filmmaker (a
film is in the storyboard stage) or a human being . . . call, wire or
write Allan Richards in care of THE MOTHER EARTH NEWS.

The above interview is reprinted with permission of ZYGOTE Magazine,
80 Fifth Avenue, New York, N.Y. 10011. For more heavy articles on the
alternative life as viewed from Fun City, thirteen issues of ZYGOTE
will cost you only $5.00. If you're a media freak, hung up on Rock
and appreciate a broad (including How-To) view of the New Life
Styles, you'll like ZYGOTE.