not exactly, ken.  at least, as i understand it, GMOs do not contain
"manufactured" genes.  they are merely transplanting already existing
genetic material into organisms which heretofore did not contain said genes
in their genome (and thus the attributes of the transplanted genes could not
be obtained by "traditional" methods such as selective breeding).

still, it is different, as you point out.  enough so that the big ag lawyers
(and the judges who side with them) have plenty of room for legal parsing.