Hello again James

>>Hello James
>>
>>>I like the idea that 'when the people lead, the leaders follow' when
>>>contemplating  how we are to control corporations.
>>>However, even though we now have the power of the internet to unite
>>>us, we remain (almost) totally ineffective.
>>>Yes, we have Avaaz and similar groups that are succeeding quite well
>>>in collecting names, but a list of names alone will not control
>>>corporations, however long that list is.
>>
>><http://boycottbp.org/>
>>
>>Yes, it's a bit "lite green", like eco-consumers shopping their way
>>to a sustainable future when it's consumerism itself that's the
>>problem, but BP would hate it. More effective than a list of names on
>>a petition I think.
>
>There are  BP stations here. I talked with a few like minded people  about
>printing and handing out a leaflet along the lines of boycottbp to people
>entering the stations - no takers.
>They figured that it would be a waste of time.

If it succeeded in persuading even one motorist, would it be a waste
of time? How can you know in advance how many other motorists that
motorist might persuade, or what else he or she might do? Don't focus
on trying to solve the whole problem all at once, just do what you
can. It's just a drop in the ocean, sure, but that's what oceans are
made of, lots of little drops.

"Never doubt that a small, highly committed group of individuals can
change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." --
Margaret Mead

>>You say "a list of names alone", but why would it be alone?
>>Everything helps. It needs coordination, but we've coordinated bigger
>>actions than this, we can do it again.
>
>Ok - I'm going to try again.

Good, strength to your arm.

>>A boycott could easily morph into a general oil boycott - there's a
>>rising clamour for a major shift to biofuels, as the George Monbiot
>>article you reffed suggested. Hm. George's website is down. Should we
>>get paranoid about it, d'you think? :-)
>
>Relax everyone - it's back.

:-) What a relief.

>>Pinch yourself James - why would you want to confine yourself within
>>a framework of laws, regulations and practices that have been bought
>>and paid for by the very corporations you're seeking to dismantle?
>
>Fair enough, but lest we forget just what we're up against...
>Prehistoric humans knew how to kill the largest beasts of their time;
>modern humans have not yet learned how to kill corporations.
>Individual humans have practically no hope of fighting off a
>determined corporate attack. Most confrontations between corporations
>and communities of humans end up in corporate victory, with humans
>ending up dead, maimed or subdued and domesticated, their human will
>broken.
>http://www.mail-archive.com/sustainablelorgbiofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg30628.html

[biofuel] Mammoth corporations
Keith Addison

You're reminding me of that? Well, that makes a change I suppose, but
you misread it, your conclusion is the opposite of Roberto Verzola's
intention, though he states it clearly. "This is what we need to
address," he says - ADDRESS, deal with it, not lie down and accept it.

Why the selective quote? Why leave out all the bits that matter? Why
rig it to make the case look hopeless?

Roberto says "In prehistoric ages, our ancestors learned how to
repel, disable or kill an attacking mammoth; the challenge of our age
is learning how to do the same with corporations."

It's a CHALLENGE, not a prison sentence.

Please go back to that url and read the whole thing again:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/sustainablelorgbiofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg30628.html>

>My
>main hope is that peak oil will curtail global trading and therefore kill
>the global corporations, though I expect I'm just dreaming again.

When do you think that might happen? Did you follow the previous
discussions about Peak Oil? Do a bit of digging, see if you can find
anything about Peak Oil that you could describe as a fact (there
aren't any). See if you can find any dates or even just vague
estimates for the onset of Peak Oil that aren't faith-based (you
won't). Peak Oil is for true-believers. I said at the time I'd prefer
to keep faith for the ineffable rather than for such matters as
petroleum reserves, murky waters indeed. If petroleum is a finite
resource (there are arguments about that too) then it follows that at
some stage it will start to run out, but just when that might be is
anybody's guess (and that might include the Big Oil companies).

Something else about the Peak Oilers is that if you scratch them a
little all this extremely ugly depopulationist stuff oozes out - four
or five billion people (all the poor ones of course) are just going
to have to crawl off somewhere and die so that "we" (the ones who've
wasted all the oil) can continue to live in the style to which we're
accustomed, and so on. :-(

By the way, if anybody wants to argue about all this, whether Peak
Oil or over-population, please don't dredge up all the same old myths
that have already been debunked, check the archives first. The main
thread is "Confessions of an 'ex' Peak Oil believer", from April 2008.

Anyway it seems rather likely (especially at the moment) that even if
Peak Oil arrives yesterday BP et al will succeed in killing us and
our planet well before any hoped-for collapse in global trading kills
them.

Can't you find something a little more hopeful to pin your hopes on?

The destruction won't stop happening. Indeed, it's likely to get
worse. The Gulf blowout has been dubbed the worst environmental
catastrophe since the meteorite that wiped out the dinosaurs, but
there'll be a worse one, and then a worse one than that. Global
corporations are not creatures that care about anything except money,
BP isn't feeling any pain, and we can see how effective a deterrent
governments are likely to be.

Which leaves what? Or rather whom?

It leaves you, and me, and the rest of us, like I said in the first place.

>>  >We could then start working out the best way that 'the people' could
>>>then...
>>>   'hold the feet of our noble leaders firmly to the fire, and to be
>>>relentless about it'.
>>
>>Can you remember the last time that happened? I'm sure José María
>>Aznar remembers it very well.
>
>Well yes, but that was more a case of our good luck in that the elections
>came at exactly the right time.

Well no, IMHO - you can't simply brush aside the biggest mass
protests the world has ever seen as just a happy coincidence.

Best

Keith