As someone else stated, when people are allowed to pay when they have
a fire, then only people who have fires will pay. That does not work.
Remember that rural fire coverage is not paid for by taxes (i am sure
there are grants and such that people can make use of) but by the
local fees. It takes a lot of payments (both in the number of people,
and the years they pay them) to cover fires, as most people have less
then 1 fire in their life on average.