Kirk Unfortunately over the past 30 to 40 years Built in obsolescence
and greed has become a huge industry.

Why would a company make ( in this case batteries) that last forever ?
they would consider that a bad deal for future sales.

When in reality if you produce a product that lasts for as long as possible
more people would purchase the product and you would probable make
far more money  corporate industry is more interested in Domination
of the market place rather than conserving resources.

I used to do Leather work for years belts, dog leashes, leather sandals,
Coin Purses, etc my ethic was to do myself out of a job and produce
the best product
I could for the cheapest price that would last the longest period of time.
( Arthritis got me instead )

When I stopped doing leather work 20 years ago ( still have all my
tools though)
I used to do it in our shopping centers we  a group of craft people
got together
and made and sold our wares to attract people into the shopping centers
we made money and so did the other shop owners
I still have people calling me 20 years later asking if I could sell them
more belts if  the locals see me They ask if they can get another
coat of dye on the belt
to freshen it up which I usually do for free ,

If our society changed from thinking about self all the time and thinking from
a wholistic approach the world would be a far better place.