Keystone XL Contractor and SUNY Buffalo Shale Institute Conduct LA
County's Fracking Study
Tuesday, 16 October 2012 15:39
<http://truth-out.org/news/item/12146-keystone-xl-contractor-and-suny-buffalo-shale-institute-conduct-la-countys-fracking-study>

--0--

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2012/10/16-0

Published on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 by Common Dreams

'Time is Now to Make a Stand': Tar Sands Pipeline Blockade Grows as
Company Lashes Out

50 campaigners break police lines to re-supply tree-sitters as
month-long action continues

- Common Dreams staff

Campaigners with the Tar Sands Blockade-who have been maintaining
tree sits and engaging in civil disobedience against the southern
portion of TransCanada's tar sands pipeline in east Texas since last
month-celebrated what they called their "biggest day of action yet"
on Monday.

As the Winnsboro, Texas tree blockade entered its fourth week, over
50 new supporters broke through police lines in order to bring fresh
supplies, including food and water, to the tree-sitters. Despite a
newly-expanded "Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation
(SLAPP)" injunction served to the protesters by local law enforcement
agencies, the anti-pipeline activists risked arrest in large numbers.

"They're saying we might get sued or worse, but stopping this
pipeline is too important." said Glenn Hobbit, 28. Many of the
activists continue to use aliases as a security precaution.

See photos of the day's action here.

The News-Journal in Longview, Texas reports that the SLAPP
injunctions are "temporary restraining orders" issued by two state
district court judges against the Keystone XL Pipeline protesters in
both Wood and Franklin counties.

"The court orders prohibit protesters from interfering with,
preventing or obstructing construction of the pipeline being built
across private property in the two counties en route to the Gulf
Coast," the local paper said. And adds:

The Wood County restraining order was issued last week in 402nd
District Court, about the same time a New York Times reporter and
photographer were detained near Winnsboro by off-duty police officers
hired by a TransCanada contractor.

The pair, reporter Dan Frosch and photographer Brandon Thibodeaux,
were released after identifying themselves as members of the press.

The orders and and escalating arrests of protestors highlight
increasing efforts by TransCanada to move forward construction that
has been stalled for several weeks in some areas. Security measures
have been increased, said TransCanada spokesman Dan Dodson, with
patrols of pipeline easements day and night.

Construction has been hampered by protesters who chained themselves
to equipment in Franklin County and others in Wood County who have
created a maze of tree houses. That protest has been spearheaded by
the pipeline opposition group TarSands Blockade.

"Peaceful and nonviolent civil disobedience is one tool in the
activist toolkit," Bill McKibben, a Middlebury College professor who
has been one of the leading foes of the Keystone XL, said in an
e-mail to the Washington Post regarding the ongoing protest in Texas.
"You don't want to use it all the time because it gets dull. But this
is the kind of case for which it's designed, when you're up against
the wall and truly powerful forces are refusing to listen to reason
and just pushing ahead regardless."

Former New York Times reporter and Truthdig columnist Chris Hedges
wrote on Monday that the Keystone pipeline "is part of the final
phase of extreme exploitation by the corporate state." If completed,
he continued:

It will pump 1.1 million barrels a day of unrefined tar sand fluid
from tar sand mine fields in Canada to the Texas Gulf Coast. Tar sand
oil is not conventional crude oil. It is a synthetic slurry that,
because tar sand oil is solid in its natural state, must be laced
with a deadly brew of toxic chemicals and gas condensates to get it
to flow. Tar sands are boiled and diluted with these chemicals before
being blasted down a pipeline at high pressure. Water sources would
be instantly contaminated if there was a rupture. The pipeline would
cross nearly 2,000 U.S. waterways, including the Ogallala Aquifer,
source of one-third of the United States' farmland irrigation water.
And it is not a matter of if, but when, it would spill. TransCanada's
Keystone I pipeline, built in 2010, leaked 12 times in its first 12
months of operation. Because the extraction process emits such a
large quantity of greenhouse gases, the pipeline has been called the
fuse to the largest carbon bomb on the planet. The climate scientist
James Hansen warns that successful completion of the pipeline, along
with the exploitation of Canadian tar sands it would facilitate,
would mean "game over for the climate."

Hedges urged others to join the blockade, and quoted climate activist
Tom Weis, who said: "There comes a time when we must make a stand for
the future of our children, and for all life on Earth. That time is
here. That time is now."

Ten days ago, a group of over thirty national and international
environmental groups, voiced their support for the relatively small
group of protesters in east Texas, saying: "If we are determined to
prevent the pursuit of extreme energy from destroying our
communities, natural systems and climate, then peaceful, yet
confrontational, protests like the Tar Sands Blockade are necessary
actions for change."

Following Monday's day of action, in which eight of their members
were arrested, a statement from Tar Sand Blockade said: "Today's
defiant walk-on protest is the largest in the history of protests
surrounding Keystone XL construction and sends a clear signal that we
will not be deterred by SLAPP suits and other legal threats to limit
our civil liberties."

Noting the increased police presence, including Transcanada's use of
off-duty police and sheriff's deputies as hired security guards, the
group said: "Apparently we've been causing some serious delays of
Keystone XL tar sands pipeline."

The day of action followed in-depth interviews by Democracy Now! with
Tar Sands Blockade spokesperson Ron Seifert, actress and activist
Daryl Hannah, and Texas landowner Susan Scott. Watch it here:

>Much at Stake as Possibility of Tar Sands Pipeline Looms
>Pumping diluted bitumen to Portland presents the risk of a major
>spill tainting Sebago Lake or Casco Bay
>Published on Monday, October 15, 2012 by the Portland Press Herald (Maine)
>http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/10/15-8
>
>Fresh Recruits, More Arrests Begin Week Four in Texas Tar Sands Blockade
>Monday, 15 October 2012 12:23
><http://truth-out.org/news/item/12121-fresh-recruits-more-arrests-begin-week-four-in-texas-tar-sands-blockade>
>
>--0--
>
><http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/12112-join-the-blockade-of-the-keystone-pipeline>
>
>Join the Blockade of the Keystone Pipeline
>
>Monday, 15 October 2012 10:11
>
>By Chris Hedges, Truthdig | Op-Ed

<snip>