Hi Chip

Thanks - yes, interesting.

"And I'm not talking about imposing some utopian vision of small
organic farms on the world," says the NYT's Mr Bittman. :-)

But, sadly, "long rotation, pasture grazing (ruminate based) plot
management (old school)" still only means that the ruminants get
rotated, but not the pastures.

If they'd used ley farming techniques it wouldn't have been just
interesting, it would have been a first-round knockout.

"Sow a piece of land with a good pasture mixture and then divide it
in two with a fence. Graze one half heavily and repeatedly with
cattle, mow the other half as necessary and leave the mowings there
in place to decay back into the soil. On the grazed half, you've
removed the crop (several times) and taken away a large yield of milk
and beef. On the other half you've removed nothing. Plough up both
halves and plant a grain crop, or any crop. Which half has the bigger
and better yield? The grazed half, by far. "Ley Farming" explains why
"grass is the most important crop" and how to manage grass leys. Leys
are temporary pastures in a rotation, and provide more than enough
fertility for the succeeding crops: working together, grass and
grazing animals turn the land into a huge living compost pile.
Stapledon draws on the work of Robert H. Elliot of Clifton Park,
whose work with deep-rooting leys was the culmination of hundreds of
years of development in grass rotation farming. Full-text online."
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html#ley

Please let us know if you track down a copy of the study.

All best

Keith