Jason, I disagree. I usually expect better of Gwyn Dyer, but I think he missed the mark on this one.

Assuming that nuclear generation can only be replaced by fossil fuels in the medium to long term is a relic of a 'hard path' mindset. Shifting to fossil fuels in the short term is a matter of convenience, familiarity and subsidized fossil fuel pricing.

There are better options, starting with negawatts - conservation and increased efficiency. For example, in Canada we have demonstrated Factor Five housing - houses built at a small premium (1-5%) over the cost of a conventional house, but using only 20% the energy for operation (space heating, hot water, cooking, refrigeration, lighting, etc.) California proved we can drop electricity consumption by over 20% - virtually overnight - when Enron and friends gamed the 'deregulated' system for fun and profit. We have more examples. Efficient lighting is a money-saver as well as an energy-saver.

Then we can start switching to sustainable energy sources. Low-tech solar thermal for space and water heating can be remarkably inexpensive, if you are prepared to do a little research and hands-on construction work. Large scale wind energy is already less expensive per kWh produced than coal or other fossil fuel generation option. Photovoltaics are less expensive per kWh produced than peak power options from many utilities (coal and natural gas peaker plants). One could even look into things like biofuels or electrically-driven transportation options <smile>.

I can go on (and I have). However, as my parting thought on this topic, question the assumption that nuclear is some kind of GHG panacea. It takes a lot of energy to make the massive amounts of concrete and specialty metals to build a nuclear generating station, and to mine and refine (and frequently enrich) uranium, and a lot of water is used for cooling the plants (which implies a lot of waste heat being produced). A couple of studies a few years back (sorry not close to hand in current household chaos) did look into this. I cited them in my book. Looks like at least one of those has been updated (http://www.stormsmith.nl/np-esecurco2.html). And at this point, we don't even have a credible idea as to how much energy is required to truly dispose of spent fuel waste or fully decommission a nuclear generating station. Nor do we put a real value on the risk posed by events like Chernobyl or Fukushima.

If the next question is, what can the individual do to make a difference, well, I wrote this book ... Anyway, suffice it to say there is a lot an individual can do, some quickly, and some that takes a bit of planning. We did not get here in a day, nor should we expect to resolve the issue in a day. However, the sooner we start the journey, the sooner we will get to our destination (saner energy use and production).

Darryl