Hi Jason

 > From another old bit of parchment: "The thing that hath been, it is
 that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be
 done: and there is no new thing under the sun

wait... that was in the bible? i always presented it as a logical argument- had reasoning and eveything.

:-) Why shouldn't it be logical?

It's from Ecclesiastes. Careful, or I'll post the whole thing, I love it! I'm far from the only one, eg:

Ecclesiastes has had a deep influence on Western literature: American novelist Thomas Wolfe wrote: "[O]f all I have ever seen or learned, that book seems to me the noblest, the wisest, and the most powerful expression of man's life upon this earth - and also the highest flower of poetry, eloquence, and truth. I am not given to dogmatic judgments in the matter of literary creation, but if I had to make one I could say that Ecclesiastes is the greatest single piece of writing I have ever known, and the wisdom expressed in it the most lasting and profound."

Admittedly it doesn't have a lot in common with the rest of the Bible.

crap... anyways, i'm not saying he's wrong, i'm saying what good ol' mark twain did so long ago "history might not repeat, but it certainly rhymes".

its not the constitution, per se that is causing the problems, it's the fact that we didn't go right ahead and do what was suggested those 236 years ago, and re-write it every twenty-five years.

Ah, yes. Instead of that it got 10 times older than its use-by date, and in the meantime the political system gained such a Gothic accumulation of patches and fixes and add-ons and excrescences that it's hard to see how it could possibly hope to achieve anything at all, let alone stuff like democracy and progress. Obese and senile.

On the other hand, "The Founding Fathers Versus The Gun Nuts", which I just posted, has something to say for it.

i just about guarantee my kids have little or no connection to the social/political environment of even my parents, let alone that of 1776.

Safe bet.

shit happens, rules get outmoded, people die, and so on, ad infinitum.

:-) Sounds like a New York version of Ecclesiastes. I like it!

Bartleby's version:

Ecclesiastes
http://www.bartleby.com/44/4/1.html

Regardds