Hi Doug,

thanks for the Japanese battery re-use link. As a Nisssan Leaf electric car owner, and advocate for distributed generation, I have multiple related interests.

I am a cautious fan of open-source tools. I have built them (1980s and 1990s), and I use some (e.g., Libre Office). I did use Android and a variety of Unix flavours over the years, but currently do not. I'm not against using them again, but my experience with HTC (non-)support of my first Android smartphone was my prime motivator in switching to a BlackBerry Z10. On the Z10, the updates just arrive and work. On the HTC, I had to hunt for updates, research them to see if they actually worked on my device, and on one occasion, an update went badly. Sometimes the price of 'free' is high (in this case, in time lost).

3D printing continues to fascinate me, but I have not found the justification for it yet in my personal set of tools.

"Connection" or "availability" fees seem to be a new and growing trend for utilities. I use natural gas for backup heat (solar primary), and the monthly "connection" fee comes to more than my fuel consumption cost over the course of the year. Our local electrical utility has implemented the same concept fairly recently. I'm not actually against the idea. I was just astonished at the idea that a monopoly needs that much money to maintain infrastructure. (The charge should not be needed for new build, as there is also a one-time connection fee that is also substantial.)

These fees just become more arguments for severing the grid connection entirely for some people.

I sympathize with your friend's lament re: time spent looking for funding. Still there, still doing that.

Darryl