http://www.cput.ac.za/newsroom/news/article/2630/biodiesel-project-yields-success

[images in on-line article]

Wednesday, 18 June 2014
Biodiesel project yields success

Turning raw materials into something of value is top on the agenda of a group of Chemical Engineering Researchers, known as the Green Technology Research Unit (GTRU).

The group has spent the past few months working on an innovative project which saw them producing biodiesel from simple products such as palm oil and alcohol, which has no harmful impact on the environment.

Lead researcher, Dr Arthur Mpela, says such projects have already been undertaken across the globe, however, it has been limited to the use of edible vegetable oil (with an end-product more expensive than existing fossil diesel) or waste vegetable oil that has to be pre-treated, a process that spikes production costs.

“We opted for palm oil, which is the cheapest oil available in Africa,” says Mpela.

To produce the green-friendly biodiesel, the researchers mixed the palm oil, alcohol and a secret catalyst in a reactor for up to three-hours. The by-product is glycerin, which is used to make soap.

The group’s first batch was recently put to the test in a lawnmower, an engine at the Mechanical Engineering labs and a 4x4 vehicle, and Mpela says it was a huge success with their biofuel keeping the engines running.

Emmanuel Kongolo, a student working on the project says their end result is proof that innovative techniques can turn a raw product into something as important as fuel.

“This entire project gave me a broad understanding of the processes involved in producing fuel,” he says.

Emmanuel says the team of researchers are proud of the results so far.

“We are contributing to the well-being of the environment and this is exciting,” he says.

Written by Candes Keating