http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-oil-spill-response-gaps-exposed-in-government-email-1.2814468

[While the Canadian federal government says we already have "world class" oil spill prevention and response organizations and capacity in place, this article indicates that on the Canadian west coast, the responsible government agency does not require monitoring equipment to be in place at major oil handling facilities, and does not have enough staff to even record all the spill response gaps, let alone actually respond to them.]

B.C. oil spill response 'gaps' exposed in government email
Gaps found or improvements needed for 'hundreds of spills on an annual basis'

CBC News Posted: Oct 27, 2014 12:04 PM PT Last Updated: Oct 27, 2014 7:43 PM PT

[video, images and links in on-line article]

British Columbia's oil spill response has come under scrutiny after the emergence of an email between high-ranking staff at the Ministry of Environment referring to "hundreds of spills on an annual basis where gaps occurred or improvements are needed."

The heavily redacted email, which was discovered by the NDP as part of a Freedom of Information (FOI) request, was sent on March 31 by Graham Knox, head of B.C.'s Environmental Emergency Program, to Jim Hofweber, executive director of the province's Environmental Emergencies and Land Remediation Branch.

Several incidents are mentioned where an effective response was considered lacking, including one from a Kinder Morgan pipeline spill at their Sumas tank farm where, "no air monitoring or sampling was done to determine what the concentrations of chemicals in the air."

According to the email, Kinder Morgan assured the public there were no health impacts from the spill despite having no scientific evidence to back up those claims, and in the face of community complaints of "nausea, headaches, strong odours, etc."
'Rolling the dice'

NDP MLA Spencer Chandra Herbert said of all the incidents discussed in the email, the Sumas incident, which took place near an elementary school, was of particular concern to public health.

"The Ministry of Environment had to admit they had actually done no data collection to know if the spill was going to be toxic, if it could harm children. They just had to say, 'Oh yeah, don't worry about it,' even though they had no knowledge at all," he said.

Chandra Herbert also said he thought it telling that the email states that there aren't enough people on staff to address the gaps and deficiencies in B.C.'s ability to respond to spills.

"That statement in itself is pretty damning — that they know there are huge problems, but they don't even have the staff available to write up what those problems are to even begin to solve them," he said.

"They like to claim we have world-class spill response standards. Clearly we don't, and this email proves it," he said. "We're just rolling the dice and hoping that none of these freighters spring leaks and that nobody has a crash."

Other areas of concern raised included the effectiveness of spill reporting, the training and certification of responders, data collection and monitors, environmental restoration and compensation of loss of public use.

Under the compensation category, reference was made to the Burnaby Kinder Morgan pipeline spill and the closure of numerous parks and beaches for a "significant" time period.

The email notes that no monetary compensation was provided to the community for this loss of access, and that should a future spill encroach on U.S. land as well as B.C., the public on the American side of the border would be entitled to compensation.

A section headed "capability and capacity" was entirely redacted.
Minister acknowledges gaps

Environment Minister Mary Polak said the man who wrote the email is a key member of the land-based spill response team, which is in the process of integrating public feedback and developing a comprehensive strategy.

Many of the gaps that are discussed in the email, including human resources, will be addressed in the final plan, she said.

"It's very clear that if we are going to fill the gaps that are present, and that we acknowledge are present, it is going to take the role of industry in contributing to our capacity to prevent and to respond to spills. That has got to be the case. It can't just be falling on the hands of government and therefore the taxpayer," she said.

Polak also said the department has heard from many stakeholders, including First Nations and environmental groups, that the current polluter-pays system needs to be revised.

"We recognize that our current system of 'polluter pay' isn't strong enough," she said. "We'd like to see it strengthened... and its a key component of what we're working for in that spills intentions paper."

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/10/19/u-s-tug-boat-rescues-drifting-russian-cargo-ship-ending-fears-of-an-oil-spill-off-the-b-c-coast/

[It seems to me something is a bit off if a U.S.-based tugboat and U.S. Coast Guard helicopter figure prominently in avoiding the grounding of this cargo ship on the Canadian west coast, more than 600 km from U.S. land. It is reported that a Canadian Coast Guard vessel could not maintain a tow on the drifting vessel in moderate seas. Despite the threat of a spill on Haida Gwai islands, it appears no WCMRC spill response equipment was dispatched from any point in B.C. At least one commentator indicates none of the WCMRC vessels are ocean-capable.]

U.S. tug boat rescues drifting Russian cargo ship, ending fears of an oil spill off the B.C. coast

[images in on-line article]

Rudy Kelly, Associated Press | October 19, 2014 9:36 AM ET
More from Associated Press

PRINCE RUPERT, B.C. – A large tug boat was pulling a disabled Russian cargo ship along British Columbia’s coast, ending fears that the vessel carrying hundreds of tons of fuel would drift ashore, hit rocks and spill.

Lt. Paul Pendergast of the Canadian Forces’ Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre said the Barbara Foss arrived Saturday evening and the tow of the Simushir was going well.

On Sunday, the rescue centre reported that the owners of Russian vessel plan to have it taken 93 nautical miles to Prince Rupert, which is the nearest container ship port.

The Simushir lost power late Thursday off Haida Gwaii, also known as the Queen Charlotte Islands, as it made its way from Everett in Washington state to Russia.

The Coast Guard ship Gordon Reid earlier towed the disabled ship away from shore, but a towline got detached and the ship was adrift again for six hours Saturday.

The 10 crew members were trying to repair the broken oil heater that has left the vessel disabled, Royal Canadian Navy Lt. Greg Menzies said.

The fear of oil spills is especially acute in British Columbia, where residents remember the Exxon Valdez disaster of 1989. Such worries have fed fierce opposition — particularly from environmentalists and Canada’s native tribes — to a proposal to build a pipeline that would carry oil from Canada’s Alberta oil sands to a terminal in Kitimat, British Columbia, for shipment to Asia. Opponents say the proposed pipeline would bring about 220 large oil tankers a year to the province’s coast.

The president of the Council of the Haida Nation warned Friday that a storm coming into the area was expected to push the ship onto the rocky shore, but President Pete Lantin later said their worst fears had subsided.

“If the weather picks up it could compromise that, but as of right now there is a little sense of relief that we might have averted catastrophe here,” Lantin said.

About 5,000 people live on the islands and fish for food nearby, Lantin said.

The Simushir, which is about 135 metres long, was carrying a range of hydrocarbons, mining materials and other related chemicals. That included 400 tons of bunker oil and 50 tons of diesel.

The vessel is not a tanker but rather a container ship. In comparison, the tanker Exxon Valdez, spilled 35,000 metric tons of oil.

A spokesman for Russian shipping firm SASCO, the owners of the vessel, said it is carrying 298 containers of mining equipment in addition to heavy bunker fuel as well as diesel oil for the voyage.

The U.S. Coast Guard had a helicopter on standby in the event that the crew members need to be pulled off the ship. Officials said the injured captain was evacuated by helicopter, but they were given no further medical details.

The Simushir is registered in Kholmsk, Russia, and owned by SASCO, also known as Sakhalin Shipping Company, according to the company’s website. The SASCO website says the ship was built in the Netherlands in 1998.