http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/32814838-75/clean-fuel-bill-poses-complex-choices.html.csp

Clean fuel bill poses complex choices

Lawmakers will debate the far-reaching  low-carbon fuels standard this week

By Saul Hubbard

March 1, 2015

SALEM — What is more important: Curbing greenhouse gases or keeping a lid on gasoline prices?

That’s the key choice Oregon lawmakers face as they consider the so-called low-carbon fuels standard, the most controversial and far-reaching bill of the legislative session so far.

The measure, Senate Bill 324, aims to cut Oregon’s greenhouse gas emissions by requiring fuel producers to ramp down the amount of carbon in car and truck fuels over the next decade.

The House is expected to vote on SB 324 this week. Implementing the low-carbon standard, known as Oregon’s “clean fuels” program, is a top priority for Democrats, who built big majorities in both chambers in last year’s election, and environmental groups. But even with a 35-25 majority in the House, Democrats may struggle to pass the bill because some in their own party are expected to jump ship on it.

Supporters argue the program would combat climate change and provide financial help for producers in Oregon and elsewhere of alternative, cleaner fuels — including ethanol, biodiesels, natural gas, propane or even electricity.

Republicans, backed by oil and trucking companies and many Oregon businesses, have strongly resisted. They say it is unclear how the program would work and how much it would cost them and, ultimately, consumers. They fear it will drive up gas prices, creating a hidden tax that would “hurt struggling Oregon families.”

GOP lawmakers have also warned that passing the SB 324 could jeopardize GOP support for a gas tax increase this session to fund transportation infrastructure work, which both parties say is needed.

The proposed “clean fuels” program is, undoubtedly, complex. And its cost to consumers is uncertain.

The program would require the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality to manage a market of so-called “clean fuel” credits — to be bought and sold among public and private entities, with gasoline consumers ultimately bearing the cost — but with few regulatory powers.

Additionally, SB 324 leaves key holes in the policy that DEQ — not the Legislature — would fill through rulemaking. These include how the program could be halted if it pushes up gas prices excessively or there are shortages of gas or diesel.

But clean-fuels advocates says it’s crucial to press ahead.

Part of wider effort

Vehicle emissions contribute about one-third of Oregon’s total carbon footprint, the state says. Ramping down those emissions is considered key to national and state goals of slowing climate change.

State lawmakers approved the low-carbon fuel standard idea in 2009. Since then, the DEQ has developed its plans. But for them to take effect, the Legislature must vote to keep the program going.

It’s all part of a wider effort: The federal government requires a certain volume of renewable fuels be produced nationally every year; California and British Columbia have already adopted their own low-carbon fuel standards. Environmental groups hope Oregon and Washington will be next, to create a West Coast market for alternative fuels.

Sen. Chris Edwards, a Eugene Democrat and key sponsor of the bill, says the program will create jobs in alternative fuel projects statewide. Edwards said there are plenty of known disadvantages to the current fuel system.

“We’re spending millions and millions of dollars on oil to fuel our cars that is going out-of-state. I know that we could do better on the carbon intensity of our fuel ... We’ve got to break the stranglehold of the (current) system,” he said.

Oregon’s program, modeled on California’s, would require fuel importers to gradually cut the amount of carbon in their fuels by 10 percent between 2016 and 2025. That would equate, roughly, to a 3 percent reduction of Oregon’s total emissions.

The scoring system used by DEQ, which determines the “carbon intensity” of all fuels, takes into account all emissions during the life-cycle of a fuel: from its extraction until it is burned.

How clean are alternatives?

How could fuel importers comply? There are two main ways, says Cory-Ann Wind, the DEQ employee overseeing the planning.

They could blend cleaner alternative fuels into their products. That includes ethanol made from corn, sugar cane, lawn or tree clippings, and biodiesels made from recycled cooking oil, soybean oil and animal fat.

But there are big limitations. State law already requires 10 percent ethanol in gasoline sold in Oregon and at least 5 percent biodiesel in diesel. Many vehicles on the road today — especially those made before 2008 — cannot run on ethanol or biodiesel content much higher than that.

So, fuel importers do not have the option to boost the volume of alternative fuel in their product.

Instead, their main recourse would be to seek ethanols or biodiesels with cleaner “carbon intensity” scores, Wind said.

The problem, opponents say, is that the two most widely available alternative fuels in the nation — ethanol from corn and biodiesel from soybeans — have only marginally better “carbon intensity” scores than traditional gas and diesel, when factoring in the environmental consequences of using arable land to grow those crops.

DEQ officials plan to fold those factors, known as “indirect land use impacts,” into fuel scores in Oregon.

Even the cleanest alternative fuels available now for blending won’t be enough to meet the full carbon reduction standards in the latter stages of the 10-year implementation, said Frank Holmes, a lobbyist for the Western States Petroleum Association.

“The program is infeasible by blending alone,” he said.

Clean fuel credit market

That’s why many expect fuel importers will mainly fall under the second compliance mechanism: a state-managed clean-fuel credit market. Under this, companies that import gas or diesel into the state would have to buy credits to offset the amount of excess carbon in their fuels. One credit would equal one metric ton of carbon dioxide.

These credits could be created in many ways.

Makers of alternative fuels with a “carbon intensity” better than the state’s standard would be allocated credits. They could sell them and use the proceeds to fund their business or cover start-up costs. High start-up costs are an oft-cited barrier to mass marketing of alternative fuels. Alternative fuel producers wouldn’t have to be based in Oregon to be eligible for credits.

But the proposed system is much broader than that.

It would let any public or private body that does something to cut the state’s transportation-related carbon emissions be eligible to create and sell credits, according to the DEQ’s rules, so long as they are based in Oregon.

That includes, for example, a school district that buys a fleet of hydrogen-powered buses, a utility that installs electric vehicle chargers in its customers’ homes, or a landfill that converts the methane it produces into ethanol — as a landfill in Deschutes County is considering. Individual electric vehicle owners could pool together to generate shared credits.

The clean transportation technology doesn’t have to be new to qualify for credits. Anything that’s already in place and continuing in use — electric vehicles for example — would be eligible to earn credits starting in 2016, according to the DEQ’s rules. Third-party brokers could set up credit sales between parties.

Limited regulation

How much these credit-creators could charge for their credits would vary based on how badly gasoline suppliers needed them in order to market gas in Oregon.

The California Electric Transportation Coalition estimates a single all-electric vehicle could raise from $500 to $3,000 in clean-fuel credits that its owner sold over a 10-year lifetime in California. The range is so wide because one credit could fetch from $25 to $300.

A typical biofuel manufacturer could expect to be paid between 2 and 30 cents in credit sales for every gallon of fuel it produces, says E2 Entrepreneurs, a California biofuels advocacy group.

The state would monitor transactions but would have few regulatory powers. DEQ plans to manage the program without adding any new employees. The agency plans to dedicate the equivalent of 2½ full-time employees to the program.

That has alarmed some GOP lawmakers. The DEQ “has not given us any assurances that they can adequately regulate this market,” said GOP Rep. Mark Johnson of Hood River.

“This is basically securities trading with no rule ... Brokers can come in, stockpile credits when they’re cheap (in the early years of implementation) and then sell them when they become more valuable” as the state’s carbon standard stiffens, he said.

“There’s all kinds of things that could cause those credit prices to spike,” he added.

Price hikes for gasoline

The price of credits is key, because gasoline suppliers will push along those costs to consumers in the form of higher gas prices.

But no one is sure just how much SB 324 would raise gas prices.

The DEQ has estimated it would push up gas prices 4 to 19 cents a gallon by the end of the 10-year implementation. But DEQ officials acknowledge the figures are uncertain. Industry-funded studies predicted higher increases.

Proponents of SB 324 point to California, however, noting that their program has generated a surplus of clean-fuel credits since it began in 2011.

So, credit prices have stayed fairly low, and experts believe the program has led to less than a penny a gallon increase in fuel prices so far, said Jack Kitowski of the California Air Resources Board.

“If we’d listened to the worst naysayers we heard, we should have expected price increases of several dollars a gallon,” Kitowski told a committee in Salem. “We’re not seeing that. ”

Still, the California standard so far has been frozen — because of lawsuits — at a level equivalent to a one percent cut in carbon emissions. It is expected to ramp up to the full 10 percent reduction by 2020.

Unknown components

Program supporters say the DEQ will have the power under SB 324 to freeze or slow the program if gas costs get too high or there’s a fuel shortage.

That’s true. But lawmakers at this point don’t know any specifics, including: how high and how fast prices would have to rise to trigger a shutdown; how a shutdown or freeze would occur and for how long; or how a fuel shortage would be defined.

None of those components are in the bill or the DEQ’s rules. If the law passes, the DEQ will flesh out those issues through rulemaking later this year.

Rep. John Davis, a Wilsonville Republican, told a committee of lawmakers last week he’s concerned that SB 324 asks lawmakers to lift the clean-fuels program’s current 2015 expiration date without seeing “anything actually implemented.”

“What we’re saying is that we’re going to change the program substantially, we’re going to remove any (expiration date) that existed, we’re going to defer much of our authority to DEQ, and we’re going to hope for the best,” he said.

Capping credit prices

When lawmakers approved the policy in 2009, they included a price control model: DEQ would freeze the program if gas prices in Oregon were 4 percent above regional gas prices, based on a 12-month rolling average.

But that model wouldn’t work, DEQ’s Wind said, and it is no longer in the bill. Gas prices are too volatile and the agency would be unable to determine if increases were due to the low-carbon fuel standard, she said.

Wind said the DEQ could exert control with a cap on the price that oil producers would have to pay for a clean-fuel credit.

For example, the state estimates that if it capped credits at $35 a credit, the increase at the gas pump would go no higher than 10 cents a gallon by the end of the 10-year implementation period. But a cap would also distort the low-oversight supply-and-demand credit market that the state is trying to create.

California is considering a $200-per-credit cap.

Adjusting the rules

Asked about the lack of specifics on those issues, Senate President Peter Courtney, D-Salem, said it’s not unusual for the Legislature to pass major bills and then go through executive-branch agency rulemaking.

“Hopefully when the (DEQ) rules are done, they will comply with legislative intent,” he said. “If the rules aren’t right, we come back (next) February ... We can (modify them) then. That doesn’t worry or alarm me.”