Here is a paper from SVG Open 2002 about an SVG Genome browser...

Development of an SVG GUI for the visualization of genome data

url: http://www.svgopen.org/2002/papers/lewis_et_al__bioviz_genome_viewer/

(the images are in png format which does not work on IE, so if you need to
view it from IE, download the images and open them in ms paint)

"We have developed an interactive, browser-based SVG application for the
visualization and mining of genome data from the model plant Arabidopsis
thaliana. The genome of this plant consists of DNA sequence information
organized into five chromosomes that can be up to 30 million base pairs in
length and contain up to 7000 distinct genes distributed along each
chromosome. This linear arrangement makes the data particularly amenable
to display using SVG as it provides a spatial relationship between the
constituent parts of the genome. It is important that the user can scale
from an overview encompassing millions of base pairs to a detailed view of
a specific region without losing spatial reference as the user will often
only be interested in a small part of the whole. For instance, each gene
has a specific structure that can only be visualized at high levels of
magnification. Additionally, client-side scripting allows the user to
create new views, or to request supplemental data which can be loaded and
dismissed on demand."

Ronan
Founding Partner, Vectoreal http://www.vectoreal.com
Director, ROIT Systems http://www.roitsystems.com