I've been thinking that the key to this is to get any page up and
running in its simplest state and then layer in the goodies like
filters, gradients, shapes, animations, etc.  That way the user can
see what's there before getting impatient and leaving.  This could
get messy because you would have to keep track of each widget's
visual state so if the user went on to another "page", you could
continue to complete the "layering" after the widgets are
displayed/hidden as needed.

It would also be great to be able to preload the most likely widgets
the user will use next after the page is fully loaded so they could
be visually finalized before displaying them.

Memory usage will probally approach that of an normal application:
just need to find creative ways of loading the widgets a little at a
time.  Something ought to be on the user's screen within the first
few seconds of linking to the page.

Couldn't get your old example to load.  These messages are really
helping me to clarify this concept.  Thanks for your input.

dave

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Alastair Fettes"

http://www.schemasoft.org/resources/samples/afettes/demo0/simpleExampl
> e.svg
>
> Note that the "Parent Window" is static when the page is first
> loaded.  When you click the "Enable/Show Window 2" button
the "Parent
> Window" becomes active as it's window controller is loaded and the
> window becomes dynamic.
>
> Jim,
>
> My idea of a "web widget" is basically any form of interactive GUI
> component.  The interaction does not necessarily have to be user
> initiated as it could simply be say a status window.  As for using
> DHTML over SVG I can't say I agree.  The differences between a 100%
> script based SVG app and a DHTML app don't seem to be too much but
if
> you reduce the amount of script used (say for svg creation) and
> increase the amount of declarative SVG all of a sudden SVG apps
> become very powerful.  The problem with using DHTML as a user
> interface technology is that it has very specific layout rules and
> getting around them is a pain in the butt.  SVG doesn't have any of
> these layout problems (though it has it's own layout deficencies
such
> as no text flow, can you tell I'm looking forward to SVG 1.2?) so
> therefore it gives the programmer the ability to think outside of
the
> box (or in DHTML's case the <table/>!).
>
> Anyways, just my thoughts on the matter.
>
> Cheers,
> Alastair
>
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "orchidsonline"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > What's a web widget?
> >

> > Good question.  My view is that it is an object that:
> >
> > 1. has a predefined default look and behavior
> >
> > 2. can respond to user events from any widget on the web page, if
> > necessary
> >
> > 3. is modular
> >
> > 4. and can use svg to give it some pizaaaaz.....
> >
> > Examples are header, footer, columns, menu, buttons, text
> containers,
> > forms, various parts of a shopping cart, tabbed folder....
Almost
> > anything that you see on a webpage can be made and packaged as a
> > widget.
> >
> > I plan to design a one-page website using these widgets (in
effect,
> > web application like Mozilla's XUL).  There is no reason to link
> > other pages within a site when you can just hide widgets and show
> > widgets for each page.  Fade-outs and fade-ins, etc., could be
used
> > as visual clues. Need to keep track of "state" rather than
changing
> > pages.  Can use JSRS to communicate with the server and database.
> >
> > I believe that as broadband use increases web users will demand
> that
> > a site provide more than just info.; I think that effective,
> > interactive visual content will also become more and more
> important.
> >

> > dave
> >
> > --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Jim Ley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > "orchidsonline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > mentality
> > ready to
> > >
> > > No, SVG is not at all an appropriate replacement for DHTML,
DHTML

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM