Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 26, 2004, 12:42:21 AM, kgordon wrote:
>
> kdc> If I have an ellipse (or elliptical arc) wherein the conjugate diameters
> kdc> are not perpendicular, then
>
> then its not, strictly, an ellipse.

Actually I can't provide a proof, but I strongly believe that
what he is describing (an ellipse under shear transform) continues
to be an ellipse.  The axis is rotated and the axis become elongated
so the transformation is complex but it is still an ellipse.

> kdc> I can not represent it in center point
> kdc> parameterization (I don't think... which is what svg uses) but it can be
> kdc> represented in other graphical formats, (i.e. cgm).  When your conjugate
> kdc> diameters are not perpendicular the result is essentially a skew, which
> kdc> has to be represented with a transformation in the svg path.
>
> Right. Or you could approximate with beziers, I suppose.

    This is certainly the "easy out", which is what I would probably
suggest taking.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM