On Tuesday, November 2, 2004, 2:22:10 PM, Jay wrote:

>>Some graphics software can export SVG with a plug in from Electric Rain (?)
>>Artists generally seem reluctant to use "non-arty" tools.
>>Too bad Adobe doesn't have an application like Flash. :-)

JV> In my experience, Illustrator tacks on far too much cruft and garbage
JV> of its own devising to be a useful tool.

By default, yes. It can be greatly reduced though:

make a dummy file, like a rectangle. Save as SVG (note there is onl
save, not export - IMO there should be both). In nthe save dialog,
unselect 'Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities' (checked by
default). In advanced, set css properties to presentation attributes,
decimal places to 3 (depends on your coordinate system, yo might need
higher or lower), uncheck 'optimise for adobe svg viewer' and 'include
extended syntax for variable data' and 'include slicing data'.

There is still a need for a tool that removes the midpoint stops, and
that looks at presentation attribute values to remove those set by
inheritance anyway.

JV> It really looks like Illustrator is somehow trying to weigh SVG down
JV> with all its garbage; at least, the SVG files I've created with
JV> Illustrator took some serious editing to be useful on my
JV> "SVG-compliant" renderer.

Sometimes there is a need to preserve editing capabilities to round trip
back into Illustrator, and sometimes there is a need to make small tight
SVG files. This is why I think there should be 'export' as well as
'save' and 'save as' and they should have different options.

JV> Use inkscape and/or sodipodi.  Both can be installed through fink ..

And they add their own editing capability stuff, again using xml
namespaces; and again you can remove it if you don't need it.

--
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM