HI again,

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 18:28, skatethere wrote:
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Aaron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > altglyph??
> > What is altglyph?
>
> It is a method to refer to a glyph by id, rather than unicode. See the
> example I posted earlier. It's quite a bit more cumbersome than
> unicode entities.

        ok I get it

> > > s> I don't know enough about private codepage definition to make a
> > > s> recommendation on how to proceed when the approved codepages
> don't
> > > s> suit your purpose.
> > >
> > > Yes, PUA is another possibility.
> >
> > PUA?
> > what is PUA?
>
> Private Use Area codepoints. For example, E000..F8FF are available for
> private use, and have no standard definition. That would certainly be
> better than overloading the Latin blocks, as Feta does.

        Ok i got it.

> > all this disscussion aside I need a high quality music font with
> > unicode encodings.
> >
> > which is my best bet.
>
> I think you'll need to do a fair amount of work with fontforge or an
> XML editor to create the font you're looking for. I think the easiest
> approach would be to use the private block at E000..F8FF and remap the
> feta glyph-names to codes in that range. I don't know how lilyxml
> references fonts currently (by glyph-name in CWN?),

        Neither do I, I am at this point begining this whole process.   Remember
we are falling back on display/print using lilypond     until we have a
viable approach to using xsl/svg.

>  but your
> stylesheet would just need to contain the mapping between its current
> references and your newly defined unicodes.

        As was mentioned previously(first transfer the abc lilypond note
names
to a more usable format and then proceed with   transformations).

> Harder would be to modify glyphs (perhaps including grouping and
> transforming existing paths with <use> elements, as ChrisL mentions)
> so that they fit the unicode def'n (which mostly relies upon Common
> Western Notation, and specifically avoids time signature, pitch, etc,
> leaving gaps to be filled). Then put any other left over feta glyphs
> in the E000..F8FF block. This would be more viable long-term.

        But still messy?

> Looking at a sampling of existing music notation fonts (most
> commercial or quasi-free), some take the approach feta did of
> corrupting the Latin block, and some use the Private Use block. I
> didn't see any that used the unicode Music Symbols block,
> unfortunately. So I'm afraid any stylesheet you make will have to be
> quite font-specific.

        Which  makes me think (after reading the introduction to the    unicode
music section, that this encoding is mainly meant for   adding music
symbols to typed text) that the music of the    unicode standard isn't
made for music, because if it was the   makers would have looked more
closely at the existing fonts and       this mess wouldn't exist.

> See:
> http://www.music-notation.info/en/compmus/musicfonts.html
>  and
> http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/music.html
>
> for examples of available music fonts.

        Thanks again, I will take a look at the fonts and see what they
do,
and hopefully a solution will present itself.

        Aaron

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM