Unfortunately, the Java code I worked on is proprietary, so I can't
provide any examples. It was also over a year ago, so my memory cache
has been flushed.<shrug/>

The basic approach I used was:

 * open a connection to the server
 * receive a stream of 'update event' strings
 * parse strings to determine what to update and to which value
 * queue the updates

Then, in an UpdateManager thread, I would apply a set of updates to
the DOM.

I defined the update event string format to be something easily
parsable. I basically needed an element id, a new value, and it
seems that I needed an alarm flag which was used to flash some
elements.

There are a number of other approaches, but this was enough to do what
I needed.

Hope that helps,
G. Wade

--
The purpose of software engineering is to control complexity, not to
create it.                                            -- Pamela Zave