hi,

i bought a new laptop and in order to have a machine like most have out
there i updated to winXP service pack 2. and i do have a lot of problems
with ASV. as i didn't test and log my installation process i do not
exactly know if my problems are all sp2-related. however:

- in firefox1 (without builit-in svg), normal load of svg or htm+svg but
crash onunload and even programm quit (followed by a lot of annoying
feedback sending stuff to netscape *and* microsoft.)
- in msie6, there are those activeX-warnings that are not easy to turn
of, but well, that's sp2. more bad is the crashing of the browser, it
happens a lot more often than on my 5 years old win2000 box. reason
unknown, unreproducible so far for me.

and i heard about lot more silly situations like blank MSIE windows when
settings in MSIE one can have the chance to see some alert telling that
there may be a security problem...

i do describe those problems as a "normal user" and as clients my see
SVG... of course i could go on investigating and so on, sure i would
find out and having my machine running well like i want. but that
doesn't help spreading SVG. a "normal user" would never do that. being
in the discussion process about a new commercial website you can imagine
how arguing goes if you tell your business partner or client "just
install ASV and you'll see wonderfull applications". it's safer to book
your holidays in irak, afghanistan or somalia...

what i want to point out here is that there are bigger problems with
ASV3.02 in combination with winXPsp2 and/or Adobe CS Graphics Suite
and/or Virus Scaners and/or some Acrobat version and/or mixed up
security settings and/or whatever. i'm fine with the svg1.0-spec support
of ASV3, and don't even need the phantomatic ASV8+, but those install
problems need to be addressed soon. some ASV3.2 ("2" standing for
winXPsp2) would be fine.

sorry for ranting without warning...

andré

andre m. winter,