Problems solved. Well, sort of.
Antoine's question got me started to cd around in my
file directories, and I found the Adobe installation
log.

The problem is that I have an OS 9 folder which
contains Netscape Communicator, and for some reason
(perhaps because of the OS differences) the installer
can not copy the plugin to the Netscape directory,
hence the error. The actual installation on OS X did
complete successfully.
Thanks for your help, Antoine.

0JJ