>   What's confusing me is the whole curve fitting aspect of a path.
> I'm just not understanding what the values for say a C really mean.
> If I have M20,20 C80,40 70,80 80,200 does the path actually go
> through 80,40 and 70,80 or are those just used for influencing the
> curve, and if so, how does it do that.

The curve you describe above goes through 20,20 and 80,200 - 80,40 and
70,80 are describing the two points that are the ends of the tangent
describing the cubic spline. Think of them as the two control points
that you use in drawing packages, such as Illustrator, Corel or Inkscape.

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/images/paths/cubic02.svg illustrates cubic
splines

For your purpose (smoothing a curve) the quadratic splines (just one
control point) - see
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/images/paths/quad01.svg would probably work
better.

All details are in the spec: