From: Paton J. Lewis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 2:39 PM
To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [svg-developers] Re: SVG plugin disapeared after acrobat upgrade

--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "jeffnoll2000" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> After just rolling out an application that uses SVG images I'm
> running into a problem with random people not having the plugin for
> IE available. As far as I can tell it is somehow related with CSC
> (they manage all our desktops) upgrading everyone from Acrobat
Reader
> 5.0 to 6, or patching 6 up to 6.0.2
>
> Am I correct in the assumption that everyone who has Acrobat Reader
5
> and above should have this plugin available for IE? I've stumbled
> across a few posts saying it is part of the Reader, Illustrator, or
> even Photoshop install.

Jeff,

Unfortunately that's not quite correct. Adobe SVG Viewer 2.0 shipped
with Acrobat and Acrobat Reader 5.x, but no version of Adobe SVG
Viewer ships with Acrobat or Adobe Reader 6 or higher.

> Of course the real problem is that CSC has the desktops so shut down
> that 99% of the people can't install the plugin on their own. When
> they try to install the SVGView.exe (I've tried V2, v3, and V6) they
> get a 'Must be Adminstrator to install' blurb.

There was a bug in the Adobe SVG Viewer Windows installer which
prevented installation on Windows XP systems even when the user had
administrator privileges. In this case the installer incorrectly
identified the user as not being an administrator. This bug existed in
Adobe SVG Viewer installers 1.0 through 3.01, and 6.0 PR1.

This bug was fixed in the Adobe SVG Viewer 3.02 installer, which is
available here: http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/

> Can anyone confirm that it should be part of the Acrobat Reader
> install? If so perhaps I can raise a stink and get them to fix it.

We would be happy to receive feedback on how we can make the Adobe
Reader more useful to you. To make sure your request goes to the right
place, please fill out this on-line form: http://www.adobe.com/
support/feature.html

> Or, is there a trick I can do to get the plugin installed on my own?
> Even if it's something like taking my install and zipping it
together
> and making my own installer.

Unfortunately the EULA for Adobe SVG Viewer does not permit this. If
the latest installer of Adobe SVG Viewer (version 3.02) does not
address your problem, then please contact customer support and we may
be able to provide further assistance.

http://support.adobe.com/devsup/devsup.nsf/svgkb.htm

Pat