I'm curious if you can just avoid calling removeChild.

Here are some alternatives:
- set the display attribute to "none" this will make it not visible
- call appendChild on another element this will remove from current
location and put in the new location. You could make a document
fragment, call append child on the fragment, then let the js gc
collect it:

var group =  parseXML( '<g  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg";
display="none" />', svgDocument ).firstChild;
group.appendChild( childToDelete );
group = null;

after that, the javascript garbage collector should collect it when it
feels like it.

If this solves your problem let me know, I'm curious!

Ryan