Agree almost completely.  The foundation for all success is ubiquitous or
native browser support.  Period.  Flash succeeds because it can run just
about anywhere in anything.

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

Without that type of broad based support, SVG may never get past its
boutique usage stage.

Applying the same logic, however, the same could become of (the vector
graphics part of) XAML unless some type of multi-platform, multi-browser
XAML graphics rendering engine is made available.

An alternative path would be for SVG, or a subset of it, to be absorbed into
XHTML, which might (somewhat) force the hand of anyone creating something
browser-like to support SVG.

Let's face it - all most of us really need is some relatively simple vector
graphics rendered in our browsers.  All of the exotic filters and transforms
and some of the more esoterica in SVG are in the "nice to have" category.
I'd be deliriously happy to have SVG Basic or even SVG Tiny supported
natively by all major browsers.

In hindsight, VML was pretty darn close to what was needed.  It is a shame
that the divergence occurred.  I don't pretend to understand the politics or
dynamics, but in any case, it suc%s for everyone involved.

For now, we're sticking to SVG on the server-side for dashboarding
applications, but I hope that can change in the future.

- Rick