Ronan Oger wrote:
> The majority of SVG-related roles currently on offer worldwide in the places
> know of are for Adobe. I don't think that it is appropriate to say that Adobe
> have 'let go' just because you don't see any new ASV browser. Why, exactly,
> would Adobe release a new browser now? Has anything changed in the SVG1.0 or
> SVG1.1 recommendations, the ONLY existing recommendations? SVG1.2 is out for
> comment, or just done with that.
[snip]
> Commercial vendors don't build software for fun alone. The eternal upgrade
> cycle is limited to open-source 'look-at-me' developers (including myself)
> and oops-we-did-something-stupid developers like Microsoft. If ASV ain't
> broken, there's no reason to fix it. And since it's not out of date, there's
> nothing to keep up to date with.

Ronan, I don't agree with you here.

Nothing has changed since SVG1.1, indeed. But ASV3 (which I see as
reference for this version of SVG), while being an excellent and nearly
complete viewer, has many bugs (I have found a number of them, and I am
by no way an SVG expert pushing the language to its limits...), is
missing a number of features (listed by Adobe itself...), mostly in the
JS implementation, and has a well know weakness in handling inclusion
external SVG files (external fonts, SVG with script or animation, SVG
with bitmap images, etc.).

These bugs and limitations would justify a new release of ASV3, even
more as probably some of them have been handled in ASV6 (which is aimed
at SVG 1.2 and still beta).

Now, as you said, "Commercial vendors don't build software for fun
alone", so the question would be: Why Adobe should work to improve ASV3
and still release it for free?
They do this for PDF, ie. with Adobe [Acrobat] Reader, but then they
have tools doing PDF documents to sell.
Indeed, they have tools to make SVG documents as well (Illustrator), but:
1) Illustrator can live without SVG support, it has before.
2) It is not alone. Indeed, now there are many 3rd party tools to
generate PDF, but Adobe can still lead the way by packing new features
into PDF, while it can't do that with SVG.

Of course, I don't claim any insight of the politics of Adobe, it is
just my point of view on the topic... :-P

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France