Hi Friedheim,
I agree with Domenico.
SCADA using SVG synopthics is my main job, since over 2 years.
I have several examples of SVG's taking almost no CPU.

The worstest problem (I'd say "fault") of SVG is that you cannot control how
much the SMIL animation can eat CPU.
So most of the time you have to manage the code (losing even lot of time) to
adjust animations so that the CPU is within acceptable margins.
Don't refuse the Javascript+DOM animation: in many situations it would be
convenient.
Cheers
Mario