This one feels dumb, but I haven't been able to solve it yet.

I can view, this SVG file (for instance, and many others ) in my browser:
http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/mouse_over_effects.svg

But when I save it as a local file (or create my own SVG file) I just
get the display of the xml with the plus and minus signs in my IE
browser. Same thing is true if I use the built-in browsers on various
of my web developer tools (Dreamweaver, and Namo): Just text, no
graphics.

I'm also the one who posted the request on how to embed SVG into a
blogspot blog. For whatever reason, I can see the message at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers/message/47856
But it never seemed to arrive into my gmail account.)

Anyhow, mysteries of the universe. I'd really love to get started with
SVG, but at least at home, I can't create files and view them (yet.)
No problem on the browser at work.

At first I thought the problem had something to do with switching from
textpad to the browser, but having downloaded an SVG that I can view
over the web, but not if it's local, I'm a bit stuck.

Sincerely,

Margie
http://SVGMapper.blogspot.com/

P.S. In the file associations, it looks like I have the option to call
an SVG an "SVG document" or an "HTML Document." Is one preferred over
the other?