"Jan"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      st.net>                  cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: Executing Java/C#
server method from svg
                      03/02/2005 12:54

                      PM

--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'd posted some information on this  a while back.
>
> What I'm doing is this:
>
> Write COM component which you can embed in a parent HTML doc.

I think in my case, the COM component would be a C# compiled class
that has methods to retrieve data updates from the data source.  What
do I need to put in my html doc?  By the way, I have no COM
experience AT ALL.  If you have an example you could send me, that
would be great.

---I tried this through the Interop samples - but the approach is not good
for me - since IE expects the # Dll on the web server and all that. I'll
see what I can send to you. But, basically this is the same as any Interop
samples that you have.

>Embed the SVG
> doc. in this HTML doc.

I am already doing this.

>In you event handler you can refer to the COM
> component interface methods as: parent.COMCompID.SendEvent(evt)
> where COMCompID is the id of the embedded COM object;SendEvent(evt)
is the
> COM interface method

Would SendEvent be the name of the method in my C# class?  What about
parameters?

Yes - but again - this is Interop - so same rules apply i.e. IE can access
the methods off a C# interface only.

> You can embed a C# component too - I believe IE supports that. But,
I found
> it easier to use a COM component and then use a C# app. to process
the
> SVGDocument directly to do whatever you need to do - you can get
you data
> updates into your C# app. and process the data and accordingly
update the
> SVG document with C# routines i.e. on the SVG DOM - based on the
previously
> received SVGDocument object.

I may be missing something here, but I thought that the COM component
would reside on the web server and then would be called by the web
client via Javascript code.  I definitely don't want or need to embed
a C# component into my client app.  I will be processing the svg doc
by using Javascript.

Also, I only want to do this if it will be supported by most browsers
and not just IE.  Do you know if this is the case?  If the component
is on the server, I didn't that that would matter.

---
If you need to do all you processing on the client - then it sounds like
you just need to parse some data updates through JS and update your SVG
document with that. So, in that case you just need a normal C# or other web
application that pulls in the required data. Your HTML based JS can process
this data and pass it in to SVG for update or further SVG JS processing I
guess. There are many examples of this around.

What I mentioned above is for a situation where all processing happens on
the server and no significant JS is used at all. The C# component support i
know exists for IE. You wuld have to see what Firefox and all support. I
think they'll all support ActiveX/COM components since I believe that is
part of the JS spec.

Thanks for your help.

Jan

> Thanks for the info.  My understanding is that I will write a C#
> class that implements IHttpHandler and accesses my data store.  This
> will somehow be registered within ASP.NET and my IIS web server.
> Then, I will use getURL/postURL from my svg/Javascript client to
> execute the "servlet" and retrieve data updates.
>
> Someone that I work with suggested that instead of using ASP.NET, it
> would probably be easier to use COM+.  The C# dll would be
registered
> with COM+.  Then, I would just have to figure out how to execute
> the "servlet" from my svg/Javascript client.  Is anyone doing it
this
> way?  If so, can you also use getURL/postURL?  Does anyone have any
> opinions as to which method is preferable/easier?  I don't know
> anything about ASP.NET or COM+ at this point.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jan
>
> --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Bullotta"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 1) Yes, but you would more likely be building a C# class than an
> ASP page
> >
> > 2) Not unless you wanted to write in Java.  If you use C#, ASP.NET
> includes
> > everything you need.
> >
> > 3) Yes.
> >
> > I would visit the Microsoft MSDN site to learn how to write
> IHttpHandlers.

Service.