>  Perhaps I am confused about what you are looking for, but I use links like
>  this is svg sites frequently and the URL shows up in the status bar for as
>  long as hold the cursor over it

No, you're not confused.

I've narrowed in on the problem.

Seems that in Internet Explorer, the first view of the SVG shows up
with a proper URL in the status bar. But when I press F5 to do a
screen redraw (say, if I modify the document, or if I went to bring it
back to its default settings) the behavior totally changes. That's
when the URL flashes only for an instant precisely when you cross the
element boundary with the mouse, and then changes to "Done." Nothing I
do brings back the original behavior after that

Ah, now, here's another weird thing! I just tried clicking on the URL
in the address bar, and it loaded a new instance of the browser
(complete with original url-in-the-status-bar behavior.) Each new
click loaded a new instance.

Now to firefox... well, it seems that every time I install ASV 6 (to
view in firefox, it also changes my IE installation to ASV6, which
doesn't work with my Instant Atlas SVG files.

So, definitely some weird glitches. The "Done" problem ("Done" showing
up in the status bar, instead of the URL) on the mouseovers every time
I press F5...can anyone replicate that?

Best Regards,

Margie