Hi all,

I've created a national county, MSA, and state map of the United
States. It's at:
  http://www.margieroswell.com/svg/nation.htm

It has some drawbacks:
- It's large and therefore sluggish. (Zipped svgz file is 2 mb. The
original FCC MapInfo file was not very generalized.)
- Also, this doesn't do much. In fact, it does little but default
viewer behavior That's where you come in! (well, if you want to.)

(Actually, apart from default behavior, there is some nice javascript
for turning on and off layers that seems to work well. Another feature
is that the IDs match the state and county FIPS codes)

What else can we do with this (if anything)?

First of all, looks like I need to find tools to generalize boundaries
(or maybe it's easier just to purchase pre-generalized county maps?)

I want to eventually be able to do choropleth mapping, and variable
sized pie charts.

Here are some good county-level data sources, in case you want to work
at that level:
 http://www.census.gov/popest/datasets.html
 http://www.ssi.nrcs.usda.gov/CustomData/DataCounty.html
 http://fisher.lib.virginia.edu/collections/stats/crime/
(That's "Uniform Crime Reports County Data")

I do promise to release a state file (subset of this--just the state
layer) so that screen redraw isn't a problem, over the weekend. When
that's up (it's not yet) it'lll be at:
  http://www.margieroswell.com/svg/states.htm

The Holy Grail (great sample SVG map applications):
 http://www.carto.net/neumann/cartography/vienna/
 http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/us_population/index.html

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/about/methodology_by_theme/area_classification/la/svg/index.html
 http://www.InstantAtlas.com/

I'm aiming to climb the learning curve, and welcome others joining in
the merriment, at whatever level. If anybody comes up with something
interesting from this, carto.net has mentioned an interest in hosting
innovative solutions and basic tutorials...Carto.net is truly an
awesome resource.

On the homepage front, I should add that my margieroswell.com site is,
alas, hopelessly out of date (well... a year old) ..Will maintain as
time permits. Have to dig up some old MySQL password, I think.

I welcome participation by others in learning and sharing information
on building GIS-style SVG apps.

Drop me a line if this sort of mapping interests you... Let's see if
we can figure it out together, and maybe "give back" to carto.net,
too, as we develop our skills.

Best Regards,

Margie
[EMAIL PROTECTED]